NPR's Juan Williams Fired For "Muslim Comments" On Fox News

(CNN) -- National Public Radio said it terminated the contract of a news analyst after he said on a Fox News show that he gets nervous when he sees people with Muslim garb on planes.

Juan Williams had worked at NPR for a long time, but his other job as an analyst on the "largely conservative and often contentious prime time talk shows of Fox News has long been a sore point with NPR News executives," an article on NPR's website said.

Williams made the comments recently on Bill O'Reilly's show "The O'Reilly Factor."

O'Reilly, the Fox News personality, was seeking comment from Williams on O'Reilly's own controversial remarks he made on the "The View" about Muslims.

"Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous." Williams said.

Williams worked for 21 years at The Washington Post and hosted a national call-in show with NPR for a year along with being a news analyst for the radio company, according to his biography on NPR's website.

The-CNN-Wire/Atlanta
TM & © 2010 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

• by Anon Location: Martin Co on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    Isn't that called freedom of speech! NPR is funded by the taxpayers!!!!!!
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Oct 28, 2010 at 09:41 AM
    Blake, I heard that yesterday...poor NPR....with 17 liberals and 1 moderate commentator...seems those stations that do that, have comments to support the 20% that think their way and none that think we do....Then we find out they get 480 some million dollars in fed money? Cut funding now....I don't want it spent on this waste of air time.
  • by blake Location: gville on Oct 28, 2010 at 07:29 AM
    So Sad, looks like NPR is going the way of Air America...out of business
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Oct 28, 2010 at 05:54 AM
    JB Location: Greenville on Oct 27, 2010 at 09:29 PM good luck with Soros spin thing. Did you know that Soros has an all out war against Fox since they are exposing his ploy to take over this nation with socialism? You are aware he is spending millions of dollars for spin? Be informed, please....
  • by Sat Location: Pinetown on Oct 27, 2010 at 09:20 PM
    America better wake up and see that your rights are being taken away. Islam is a peaceful religion when all people accept it. Until then it is taught to kill all others. This nation has put up with so much crap from everyone and everything that some people will trust anybody. If you think this country is not at war within our own boarders you better start reading the papers and doing so research on the number of arrest for bomb plots and attempts. It is going to get much worse. If you not concerned with who is flying with you on commerical flights then good luck.
  • by Dorothy Location: Greenville on Oct 27, 2010 at 06:44 PM
    do we still have freedom of speech in this country, if so you should be allowed to express how you feel. i see nothing wrong with what he said, and he has EVERY right to feel that way.
  • by JB Location: Greenville on Oct 27, 2010 at 06:29 PM
    Fox news...such a sad group. They even went to court to protect their right to run a story they KNEW was false.
  • by Obama Snake Oil co Location: Washington on Oct 27, 2010 at 05:00 PM
    Anonymous on Oct 27, 2010 at 05:03 PM and Anonymous on Oct 26, 2010 at 09:03 PM, give little lavon a break, his mommy, Nancy Pelosi and his daddy, George Soros, doesn't let him watch Fox News to find that Juan, a brother, now makes 2 million a year with Fox...He just threw a liberal brother under the bus just like NPR. He still won't answer my question about why he voted for the worst president in history....
  • by W Location: Simpson on Oct 27, 2010 at 04:55 PM
    Shouldn't have been fired. Past experiences build present views. If a black man beat me one day in the street, I would look differently at black people. If an mexican lady tried to kill my mother, id think differently about mexican ladies. Its human nature to be aware and nervous around people that are similar to others who have caused pain to you. Its not necessarily the right thing, but its natural. He shouldnt have been fired, but just received a slap on the wrist. If I did say something wrong or a false statement I'm sorry. I don't know the story 100%.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 27, 2010 at 02:03 PM
    What the heck is lavon talking about? Fox news didn't get rid of him, they gave him a big fat new contract when you liberal news media, NPR, fired him.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105430428 - witn.com/a?a=105430428