Monkees Lead Singer Davy Jones Has Died

Actor and musician Davy Jones, who gained fame with the 1960s band The Monkees, has died in Florida. He was 66.

Davy Jones of the Monkees singing group at press conference at Warwick Hotel in New York City on July 6, 1967. A representative for Jones confirmed that he died Wednesday morning of a heart attack in Indiantown, Fla.

Jones rose to fame in 1965 when he joined The Monkees, a British popular rock group formed for a television show. Jones sang lead vocals on songs like "I Wanna Be Free" and "Daydream Believer."

Jones was born Dec. 30, 1945, in Manchester, England.

• by Annette on Mar 10, 2012 at 03:29 PM
    Davy was my first boyfriend when I was little, even though he didnt know:) I also loved the show back then. Sad to hear of his passing.
  • by Donna on Mar 1, 2012 at 04:03 AM
    This is so sad. But every single time I think about The Monkees, it puts a smile on my face. I loved the music and the show was just so goofy that you had to love it. RIP Davey. I will still be listening to Daydream Believer & smiling the whole time.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 29, 2012 at 05:31 PM
    Amen to all the other comments, but will we see media coverage over the next several days about Davy, his life,his music. Sorry not a chance, The Monkees helped in the birth of music videos, brought us a mix of rock and pop and is why I switched from piano to guitar 45 years ago. Davy we will miss you and think about you over the next several days. Maybe if he had been a crack head he would get the flags at half staff or more TV time. Think about it. Sweet Old Boy/ SOB
  • by Anonymous on Feb 29, 2012 at 04:21 PM
    The music back then was much better than what is being produced today.
  • by ECU student on Feb 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM
    oh no! Now who is Marsha Brady going to take to the prom?
  • by Pirate4life on Feb 29, 2012 at 02:19 PM
    RIP Davy. Thank you for your music.
  • by jimmy Location: Tick Bite on Feb 29, 2012 at 01:46 PM
    Sorry to hear that Davy has taken the Last Train to Clarksville
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Oh wow. I really loved that little show back in the '70's. The episodes were kind of goofy, but the music was great and they were cuties. I know we're all going someday, but it's still a shock to hear.
  • by Jean Location: windsor on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    RIP. I loved me some Davy Jones back in the sixties. Watched the TV show The Monkees all the time. Loved to watch him dance to Daydream Believer. They were the good old days.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    The Monkees were cool back in the early seventies and the girls love em some Davy Jones......RIP my man.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140901743 - witn.com/a?a=140901743