2011 Grammy Awards

Arcade Fire captured the album of the year award at the Grammys for the "The Suburbs," a surprise win that left Eminem shut out in all the top categories.

It was the rockers' only win on the night; they had been nominated for two other awards.

Arcade Fire beat out Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now," Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream," "The Fame Monster" by Lady Gaga and Eminem's "Recovery" -- 2010's best selling album.

This is now the third time Eminem has lost the best album trophy. He led all nominees with 10 and won two. But Eminem did win Best Rap Album for Recovery.

In other awards Lady Antebellum's yearning crossover smash "Need You Now" was crowned song of the year by the Grammys.

The night also had a huge upset, as Esperanza Spalding, a jazz bassist and singer who sold a fraction of favorite Justin Bieber's music, beat the 16-year-old pop phenomenon, and also Florence & the Machine, Mumford & Sons and Drake for best new artist.

• by Filmmaker on Feb 15, 2011 at 02:11 PM
    I watch the Oscars, and the Emmys. I think if people want to watch any sports awards, sporting events where they are paid ridiculous amounts of money to play games, why can't people who spend their lives making art get recognized for doing good work? Not all celebrities are vapid and shallow That's also a problem in this country, lack of respect for the arts. People focus so much on the money, on both sides those who enjoy and those who create, that the art can be lost, and that would be the real shame.
  • by James Location: New Bern on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    yeah REALLY?... it's very easy to look dumb, you and lots like you prove that point each day. Just proves how much attention I pay to stories like this. Emmy's, Grammy's, Oscars, the Golden Globes... they're all the same. Useless waste of air time. Thanks for the correction though.
  • by Tracy on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    I normally don't watch the Grammys because today's radio pop is not my cup of tea. However, this year their were several talented acts nominated and performing. Mumford and Sons didn't win, but put on a great set along with my favorite band - Local NC guys -The Avett Brothers. Also Nora Jones, John Mayer, and Keith Urban honored Dolly Parton with a great rendition of Jolene. I was glad to see Ray LaMontayne, Carolina Chocolate Drops, and some other well known acts nominated also. While I didn't really enjoy their live set, Arcade Fire deserved their win with their excellent studio CD The Suburbs.
  • by Really? Location: DC on Feb 14, 2011 at 09:46 AM
    @James, I don't watch these artists, I listen to them because they are singers/musicians. Perhaps read the story to know which award show they are talking about before looking dumb? And to all of you hating on these elitist musicians might be surprised to know (if you didn't already) that The Avett Brothers (who played with Bob Dylan) are from Concord and the 2 brothers actually went to ECU. Their music is awesome and it is nice to see their hard work pay off!
  • by James Location: New Bern on Feb 14, 2011 at 09:30 AM
    Does anyone actually watch these anymore ??? 99% of those Hollywood elitists are imbeciles. Why do we care what they think ? I'm sure some of you say the same about me. LOL They just have all the air time and publicity to get their message out, but most Americans don't think the way they do. We just keep buying those tickets to see their movies. Did I read that a super bowl ticket this year was $ 4600 ?? What has happened to America ? When did actors and sports figures deserve so much money ? Everyone wants to cry about the poor Americans. How can poor Americans afford to take their kids to a football game anymore ? or to a movie ? People need to stop with the support they give these people. Stop buying products that advertise on these shows, movies, games. It's just stupid.
  • by Bubba Location: Currituck on Feb 14, 2011 at 08:38 AM
    LOL... It is TV... what do you expect.
  • by Russ Location: Hendrson on Feb 14, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    Airheads patting each other on the back. What a show.
  • by Gary Location: Winterville on Feb 14, 2011 at 07:20 AM
    Im more concerned about the real world and the people who actually live in it.
  • by Retired Enlisted Marine Location: ENC on Feb 14, 2011 at 03:34 AM
    There are to many important things going on in this world, who cares who sings what song.
  • by Endurance Swimmer Location: In the water on Feb 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    I love John Legend, especially the remake of "Wake Up" with Melanie Fiona and Common. I'm glad he won instead of all these rap people, although, I do like some of Emenim's stuff!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116133724 - witn.com/a?a=116133724