Hollywood's Holidays Start Glumly With Bad Weekend

The holiday spirit is eluding Hollywood, which has stumbled through its worst two weekends of 2011 at a time when business usually starts to pick up as big year-end releases approach.

Overall domestic revenues are expected to come in below the dismal $81 million haul a week ago, which had been the low weekend so far this year. This looks like Hollywood's worst total in more than three years, going back to the weekend after Labor Day in 2008, when overall grosses finished below $70 million.

The star-filled romance "New Year's Eve" led this weekend with a weak $13.7 million debut. The cast includes Hilary Swank, Robert De Niro, Halle Berry, Ashton Kutcher and Sarah Jessica Parker.

Jonah Hill's comedy "The Sitter" opened at No. 2 with just $10 million.

• by Loris Location: Rocky Mount on Dec 19, 2011 at 02:48 AM
    What has politices got to do with going to the movies. If something is play I want to see I go. If it's somethiing crazy like "New Year's Eve". Obama can't be blamed for the way you spend your money. I guess you blame him for th e troops coming home, I guess you feel they should stay.
  • by movies on Dec 12, 2011 at 06:53 AM
    Obama has made us so broke we can't afford movies!
  • by Roy on Dec 12, 2011 at 06:48 AM
    let the hollywood liberals keep electing these idiots and when there pocketbook starts hurting, lets see how they react.
  • by Mike Location: Edenton on Dec 12, 2011 at 04:37 AM
    Theaters will be a thing of the past. $30 admission for a family of 4, plus up to $50 for popcorn, candy and sodas, plus gasoline for travel, and listening to someone else's brats behaving badly or some idiot on a cellphone (priceless). The DVD/Blueray will be out in 3 months. I'll watch it on my new 70 inch H-D with surround sound from my comfortable recliner in my bathrobe without the crying brats and inconsiderate cellphone users.
  • by Half.com DVDs on Dec 11, 2011 at 08:15 PM
    I buy DVDs from Half.com & Amazon.com. Both have used DVDs at half price or less and newer releases (6 months old or more) can be bought for nearly half what they sold for at release. My last time at the theater to watch a movie was in 1988.
  • by pee-d Location: martin nc on Dec 11, 2011 at 05:41 PM
    welcome to the real world hollywood. just a little of what the rest of us are living. now if the fat cat whitehouse and the rest of the law makers can come down to reality we will all be better-off
  • by MADDOG Location: USA on Dec 11, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    Why would I pay $8 or $9 to go to the movies when I can go to RED BOX or Block Buster and get the same movies for a $1. Or stay home and get it on T.V. with Dish on Demarn for $5, You go and I will stay home.
      by Anonymous on Dec 11, 2011 at 09:07 PM in reply to MADDOG
      Demarn?
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM in reply to MADDOG
      I know whatcha mean. It's more like $15 apiece now, with popcorn and one drink per person.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 11, 2011 at 03:31 PM
    People are desperate to put gasoline in their cars and food on the table at home, due to the Barrack Obama economic depression.
      by ncyankee on Dec 26, 2011 at 07:14 AM in reply to
      you got this right..I for one am a vet, and cant get help..who cares about the hollyfools, us middle class carry the bulk of taxes, etc. and O is on vacations in Hawaii, renting a million $ estate.. and it cost us taxpayers 1.5 million for his plane ride and security.. yep, he thinks only of himself, and congress also..they are not in touch with people like us..I say turn washington up side down, and put them ALL, in a shredder or wood chipper, and start all over again, good comment, and the truth, Anonymous
  • by The Borg Location: Pitt County on Dec 11, 2011 at 03:28 PM
    Welcome to the real world, Holly"weird"! For the most part, you're putting out garbage that no one wants to watch. But,hey. Do yourself a favor. Start an "Occupy Holly-weird" movement, and maybe someone will show you some sympathy.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135408703 - witn.com/a?a=135408703