"Band Of Brothers" Hero Passes Away

HERSHEY, Pa. (AP) -- Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters, the man whose quiet leadership was chronicled in the World War II book and television miniseries "Band of Brothers," has died in central Pennsylvania.

Winters died Jan. 2, a family friend confirmed Monday. Winters
was 92. He lived in Hershey but died in Palmyra, Pa.

In September 1944, Winters led 20 men in a successful attack on
200 German soldiers. He and his men later helped hold the Bastogne area of Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge.

The exploits of Winters and the other members of Easy Company
were chronicled in the Stephen Ambrose book "Band of Brothers"
and later the HBO miniseries of the same name. Winters also
published a memoir in 2006 entitled "Beyond Band of Brothers."

Winters was buried in a private funeral. Arrangements for a
public memorial service are pending.

• by Eyes wide open Location: Seven Springs on Jan 12, 2011 at 05:48 AM
    I have the good luck to talk to a man that was at Pearl Houber on Dec 7 1941, and a man that went in on D day 1 God has blessed my soul ! These are the true heros not the sport stars
  • by Old Man Location: Down East on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Neo,could not have said it better.
  • by Neo Location: Reality on Jan 11, 2011 at 06:11 AM
    Sorry to hear about the passing of Mr Winters. They were a generation of people willing to do whatever it took to defend freedom and deny socialists control of the world. We now have a generation of people who are embracing socialism and beg the government to take their freedom in exchange for free food, shelter, healthcare, transportation and entertainment for life. We have raised a generation of degenerate, panty waisted, lazy whiners who beg to be dominated by wind bags that they idolize. Mr Winters was an example of a better group of people.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2011 at 07:26 PM
    America has lost an icon. Whenever I meet a WW2 vet,I respectfully ask about their experiences. They are dying off at rapid rate so time is getting short to learn something from the greatest generation.
  • by Tim Location: LaGrange on Jan 10, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    My dad is 88 and living in Ohio. He is a WWII vet and fought from Omaha Beach to Dachau. My late mom went to work in production plant in 1943 the day after she graduated from high school. As a son of "The Greatest Generation", I have nothing but a lifelong admiration for this generation of Americans. If our society was of the same caliber of these folks today, tragedies like those that happened in Tucson on Saturday would never have happened. Only the words of Sir Winston Churchill can sum up this generation- "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Thanks, Pop! I'm sure Ma is looking for Cary Grant right about now, too!
  • by OSOC Location: Washington on Jan 10, 2011 at 03:33 PM
    May god bless this band of brothers for all the do and did. This story will live on for many years to the memories of those there.....they have joined so many of their own, from their time, from that war.
  • by Wolfgang Location: Chocowinity,NC on Jan 10, 2011 at 03:09 PM
    I remember on his TV interview Dick's grandson asked him. Grandpaw were you a hero in the war. Grandpaw said " No " I was in a company of heros. My condolances to the family. And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, From this day to the ending of the world, But we in it shall be remembered- We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother. Farewell Maj Winters

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113234869 - witn.com/a?a=113234869