Residents Turn Out To Talk School Board Downsizing

The Pitt County School Board called a school board talked about the possible restructuring of the school board during a Monday night meeting.

A large group of concerned Pitt County residents showed up after learning that boards size could be reduced from 12 members to 6 and one at large member.

This all comes after Senator Louis Pate submitted a bill to the senate to reduce the size of the board.

The school board did discuss the issue but did not take any action following a closed session meeting.

There will be a hearing in the future with a senate sub-committee about the Senate Bill 261.

Pitt County has the largest school board in the state.

• by huh Location: Greenville on May 16, 2011 at 07:41 AM
    Why does Pitt County have the largest school board? That's weird.
  • by Teacher on May 10, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    To Nana: I am a teacher in Pitt County and have been so for the past 13 years. I have purchased everything from tissues and hand sanitizer to literature books for my classrooms. Pens, pencils, white out are all provided for you if you know the right person to let you into the supply closet! I wish that I had just a portion of the money returned to me that I have spent for items I know will help my students learn. Teachers will never be appreciated for the FINANCIAL sacrifices we make or for the amount of time we spend to ensure that the future leaders of our country are able to add, read, and write!
      by Nana on May 11, 2011 at 06:07 AM in reply to Teacher
      This is my point exactly...and truth be known, you have bought supplies, etc. for those kids whose parents don't come through with what they're supposed to send. It's just sad, and I commend you for perservering for 13 years.
      by Raider on May 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM in reply to Teacher
      Financial sacrifices?!? According to ncpublicschools.org, 91% of the education budget goes towards salaries and benefits for TEACHERS!! And people wonder whey North Carolina is 47th in the nation in money spent per student! There is only 9% of the budget to spend left to spend on EVERYTHING but TEACHERS!!
  • by Anonymous on May 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    The board members are teh ones that need their salaries cut, not teachers. The board members are the big cheeses, pencil pushers, white collar employees that make way too much money. Cut 75% of them. What actual good do they do ?
  • by Nana Location: Southern Pitt on May 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Okay, I know I've been out of school for 30 years and costs have skyrocketed...but what really kills my soul about what my granddaughters have to deal with going to school in Pitt County is that in addition to the mandatory school fees everybody pays, each child has a "laundry list" of items that have to be provided by the parents. In some cases, I've heard that the teachers are paying for supplies out of their own pockets...This is evidently because the school budgets have been cut so thin, the school/county can't provide the basic supplies...and I'm talking elementary school. And, don't get me started on the lunchroom...Something is just way wrong here.
  • by People Speak on May 10, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    What was so weird is that it was reported that the board is considering cutting their membership in the Chamber of Commerce. I wonder if they are prepared to lose all the money the Chamber raises for them. It amazes me the actions some people will propose, that will hurt the district and the kids just so that they can keep their titles and positions.
  • by Anonymous on May 10, 2011 at 07:09 AM
    Just a bunch of large EGO's on the board, who use the buddy system to accomplish anything. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
  • by FedUp! Location: Pitt on May 10, 2011 at 04:51 AM
    Where is this Senator from? Why is he sooo concerned about Pitt Co.? The biggest problems with our schools is we are letting special interest groups like the PCCEBC, NAACP, neighborhood groups, and the ACLU tell us how to run our schools. Why can't we go to the schools close to our homes? If parents and the community would take responsibility for the students the school would be a lot better!
      by Pirate86 on May 10, 2011 at 08:54 AM in reply to FedUp!
      Louis Pate he is one of the senators that represents Pitt county he lives in or near Goldsboro.
  • by Teacher on May 10, 2011 at 03:45 AM
    And in related news, the school board voted to do whatever they want and ignore the concerns of the public....
      by pIRATE on May 10, 2011 at 05:25 AM in reply to Teacher
      OMG that is so funny. And sadly so true. Threw up my hands with the Pitt Co BOE looong time ago.
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on May 9, 2011 at 09:40 PM
    Its about time someone reduced this school board. It is almost beyond comprehension how Pitt county allowed or was allowed to expand the school board so much in the first place. And what a correlation, as the board got bigger the schools got worse. Lots of back room deals. And sorry to the other 6 who can't take home the extra cash / month once they get canned.
      by Pirate86 on May 10, 2011 at 08:57 AM in reply to US-First
      The school board got as big at is back in the late 60's or early 70's when Pitt county schools and the then city of Greenville schools merged.
  • by Just Do It on May 9, 2011 at 07:36 PM
    Why has it taken this long? The board should have been reduded immediately after the county and city schools merged.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121541334 - witn.com/a?a=121541334