Perdue Wants Higher Sales Tax For Education

Gov. Beverly Perdue says her budget proposal for next year will include a temporary sales tax increase to restore education cuts made by the Republican-led General Assembly when they let a similar tax expire last July.

Perdue announced Tuesday her plan to recommend what she calls restoring three-quarters of the penny sales tax that had been on the books for two years starting in 2009. That would raise the sales tax in most counties from 6.75 percent to 7.5 percent.

The GOP-led Legislature rejected Perdue's proposal to set the sales tax at 7.5 percent, instead cancelling the penny altogether.

Perdue says the state owes it to children to stop cuts and make education a priority again by restoring the funding.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Teacher Location: Newport on Jan 26, 2012 at 02:02 PM
    So tired of it, I am a teacher and I resent your comments. First of all I only get paid for 10 months I am unemployed for 2 months a year. I so tired of people thinking teachers get summers paid off. WE DO NOT! Secondly, when I was hired I was given certain benefits and a pay scale to plan my future by. The State has lied to me and every other teacher. They have frozen the pay scale and reduced our benefits. This is not what I was promised when I was hired. I love teaching and I love the kids but I do deserve reespect and I do deserve the pay I was promised and more.
      by Anonymous on Jan 27, 2012 at 07:52 PM in reply to Teacher
      Teacher, you are paid the equivalent of a 12 month/yr salary. Do you draw unemployment benefits during the summer months ??? If you're not eligable to get unemployment, you are no layed off. If you're not layed off, it's because you've already drawn the pay for those summer months.
  • by So tired of it Location: ENC on Jan 24, 2012 at 04:55 PM
    I am so tired the disgruntled teachers whining about no pay raises, no respect, blah, blah, blah. They are NOT the only ones suffering in this economy and under this administration's leadship. Get over yourselves. If you don't like it, find another job...one where you work ALL year. Such santimonious beings.
  • by Sylvia Location: Greenville on Jan 23, 2012 at 05:16 PM
    I am so tired of all the increase in taxes. We don't have any jobs to pay for all these increased taxes. Along with everything else, that's one more thing to take away from food, medicine and paying electric bills. Gee thanks Governor Perdue, it must be nice not to have to worry about what you'll have to do without. It may not sound like a whole lot up with you big shots making all the decisions for us. Why can't the people vote and help make the decisions. Better still, why don't we vote to cut your pay to the point you can't make ends meet.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 23, 2012 at 08:32 AM
    This is not a Republican or Democrat idea. Raising taxes is a tool for sorry/incompetent/selfish leadership. It is the easy way out, for very bad decisions at the governors and legislatures level no matter who is in charge at the moment. Always has been and will continue to be until we get better leaders in Raleigh and Washington DC by the way. The politicians get theirs through hook and crook and the taxpayers pay.
      by ECU student on Jan 25, 2012 at 02:54 PM in reply to
      well when is the last time the Republicans proposed a tax increase? Raising taxis is the platform of the Democrats.
  • by no more bev on Jan 23, 2012 at 07:53 AM
    Lets see....we are one of the highest gas taxes in the nation,explained by the fact that we don't have tollbooths. Well, Beverley has taken care of that and put them up in Raleigh and now getting ready to put them up on I95. Now she has raised the gas tax again. She has raised the sales tax again. All the lottery money is going to programs that have been proven to fail like more is four. I mean what else is next. Just hand over our checks to the people who don't work?
  • by m on Jan 23, 2012 at 06:27 AM
    time for Perdue to step down, better yet impeach
  • by ECU student on Jan 23, 2012 at 04:08 AM
    In other news our governor is an idiot!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2012 at 05:45 AM
    here's an idea... cut waist... cut spending.,,,if you dont work... you dont eat
  • by laura Location: greenville on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    They're already upping lottery ticket prices- isn't that helping? I swear, we're in the same situation as we were before the lottery- same issues, same budget problems. It's pretty clear that the issue isn't money, it's how it's being spent. If I ran my household budget like the leaders run this state budget, we'd all starve to death in a month.
  • by Alpha Location: Lenoir on Jan 21, 2012 at 06:57 AM
    The state owes 2.7 billion in unemployment that has been spent since 2008 and not paid for....all borrowed from the US treasury. The state is currently searching for a plan to repay this debt. The business tax that employers pay for each employee will triple this year if a solution is not found. The payment of this debt and other debt service should take precedence over any new spending, including what the governor desires for education.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137496968 - witn.com/a?a=137496968