NC State Mistakenly Posts Data About Children Online

North Carolina State University is warning parents that private information about 1,800 school children from Richmond and Wilson counties was mistakenly posted online.

The school says the information includes names, Social Security numbers and dates of birth of students from Ashley Chapel in Richmond County and Gardners and Wells in Wilson County. The data was gathered from 2003 to 2006 as part of a study on classroom practices.

N.C. State's vice chancellor for information technology says there's no evidence anyone used the information improperly. Marc Hoit says the school sent letters to parents this week advising them of measures to take to monitor credit ratings.

It was difficult to find some parents because the information was gathered several years ago, and Ashley Chapel has since closed.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Meanwhile Location: In Greenville on Aug 9, 2011 at 04:58 PM
    If this story, here on WITN, had the ECU name affixed to this mistake, Dave, JDLadd, and many, many others would be posting negative ECU diatribe incessantly. Indeed, these comments right now at 7:58pm would be up to 155 comments if ECU name were attached. Just goes to prove that the self-hating negative Nellies ALWAYS attack the local protagonist due to his/her own insecurities. This is FACT. Don't believe me? That is OK... just look at the next mildly negative story pertaining to ECU, with far less safety repercussions, and watch the self-hating insecure lost souls come out of the woodwork like worms and jack up the comment total... This is the truth to anyone that will acknowledge such.
  • by Freak on Aug 9, 2011 at 03:56 PM
    I wonder how many of these childrens identities have been stolen to supply illegal immigrants false documentation?
  • by realistic........ Location: eastern nc on Aug 9, 2011 at 02:18 PM
    Now seriously..... why would you guys want to file a lawsuit for somthing like this? I could see it maybe...... if you actually lost money over the deal but really what kind of sue crazy place do we live in anyhow? Im gonna sue you because you made a mistake and i can get rich off of it?
      by being realistic on Aug 9, 2011 at 04:03 PM in reply to realistic........
      it's a sheer case of negligence, and with it being minors information i'm sure somewhere thers a breach of a confidentiality agreement, that's definatly a case for a lawsuit!
  • by Debbie Location: wilson county on Aug 9, 2011 at 02:02 PM
    My opinion is I think this is ridiculous I don't even understand why the school needs my childrens social the birth certificate has date of birth. I hope my childrens are not there waiting to hear back now because we have since moved. If my kids were involved and someone has used their info I hope NCSU is ready to fix it.
  • by What??? Location: ENC on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    Why if this was from several years ago are they playing with it now?? They do not need these childrens info for any reason! And now they have posted it online??? This is one of our major universitys?? Sounds like they need a major reaming!! I agree with bloke,the parents legally would have had to sign a waiver for their childs info to be used in a study, where are these papers that would tell how to contact the parents?? Were they obtained illegally? Either way i smell lawsuits!! How unprofessional and just plain sloppy on the universities behalf!!
  • by Carl Kolchack Location: Pitt County on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    My thoughts exactly Bloke, what is NC State doing with the personal information of elementary students in the first place. Do they have my child's info also?
  • by NCSU Location: Raw-lee on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Oopsie!
    --Moo U
  • by here Location: here on Aug 9, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    Yikes! Not good.
  • by BETTY on Aug 9, 2011 at 09:42 AM
    THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS TO OF HAPPEN. THE STATE HAS NO BUSSINESS HAVING ANY OF THE CHILDRENS INFORMATION. I THINK SUEING THE STATE MAY BE A GOOD IDEA.
  • by scholar Location: nc on Aug 9, 2011 at 09:28 AM
    I want to know what Institutional Review Board approved data collection that included social security numbers.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127309148 - witn.com/a?a=127309148