NC Coastal Schools See More Homeless Students

Several factors have combined to triple the number of homeless students in a coastal North Carolina county.

The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reported Sunday that Perquimans County Schools has 60 students classified as homeless this year up from 18 last year.

School system social worker Latonia Johnson says the tough economy, house fires and cases of domestic violence have contributed to the rise. Johnson says the students are not sleeping on streets, but their families do not have a fixed home. They may be living with other families, in shelters, motels or cars.

The schools provide the students with free meals, tutoring, after-school programs and other services to help the whole family.

Currituck County Schools also has seen an increase in homeless students and have 53 this year.

• by was almost there on Apr 26, 2011 at 08:22 AM
    Why wont you post my comments on dont judge Im sure there are plenty of people in a similar situation that would like to know they r not alone..no you will only post comments that bash people for being homeless, not why they r there.You guys are soo wrong. WITN is not what it used to be!!Maybe I should put it in the paper, how you are biased and only want to down rate people! Publish something other than your opinion!!!
  • by was almost there on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    During our dreded move I found out I was ineligable for unemployment because they considered it quiting..Never mind I just lost my home my dignity and my family life..it was a move that had to be done at the time 3 counties away,how could I keep my now parttime job?During the move we found out "after years of trying while we were well off and told by doctors we couldnt have any more" I was pregnent we were excited but devistated! Now I have a infant, my husband has found a good job and we are saving money to get on our own again.But now we cant afford for me to work,will someone pay my daycare?No we dont qualify and even if I did I would be ashamed. If you havnt priced daycare its cheaper for me to stay home with dc and gas prices I would be making about 30 $ a week! When we get moved I will have to cause 30 $ is 30 $! Would you work all week for 30$? If you READ the article some are homless because of tradedy not laziness.I know what u are talking about though.Those who would rather get what the govt gives then work. So sad people like us who are trying, worked all our life and taken from NO ONE cant get any help back up! You can only get help if you dont want to do anything and dont try what is this telling Americas kids?They need to bring back Work First where people have to get or look for a job to get assistance.But Obama did away with that.Our Govt would rather give a handout than a handup,how disgraceful for our country!!I am "homeless" right now, not because of drugs or cause we r lazy but because people like this have run our economy in the ground!!!!So while their getting a hand out we're working our butts off stuggling to house them and feed them when we can hardly help ourselves right now!!Makes me soo mad.If you have neverpaid taxes you should get NO help!!
  • by was almost there Location: dare co on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:34 AM
    You might be right about the majority, but its not always that way!We used to live in a nice home in a nice neighborhood,I drove a convertable my husband a nice truck. The bills were paid and we were doing pretty good.Then it started...my hours were cut first..drastically! Then my husband hours got cut.so we cut back trying not to use our savings in case we needed it for the future.Did I really need a great car? No we sold it for a lil economy car.We cutout and sold things we didnt need.Then my husband was completley laid off,for the next year he drew what umemployment he could get till he found a job, when he did it was less then unemployment! But he was working! Then he was laid off there! Over the next year we drained our savings sold his truckand scraped the best we could.Finally it came to the point we lost everything I am now 32 living at my parents with my husband and 2 kids!I feel so ashamed, we used to have it all.. goods jobs nice place to live a great family life.I have been on my own since I was 18 I hate to even tell people where I live.Before you judge maybe you should walk in someone elses shoes! It can happen to anyone at anytime!!We are suffering our kids are suffering! When we needed help we didnt qualify,we owned a vehicle and property which excluded us from help!!Although we have always worked and payed our taxes!The people that need help and deserve it cant get it!
  • by Please! Location: New Bern on Apr 25, 2011 at 03:13 PM
    These are the children who's parents are out there buying plenty of beer, cigs, and pot and probable cooking up come meth! Please get a life! They could provide for the children if they wanted to! There are plenty of jobs out there they just don't want to work at McD's or the corner store! How about you give them a handout if you feel so bad for them!!!!! Quit putting the blame on the pubic offices it takes the majority, we all know that! Not just one person. Why does it ALWAYS have to be about RACE! Do we have some racial issue do we Informed sounds like YOU are playing the blame game here take some responsiblity for your self and help some of your fellow people!!!!
      by was almost there on Apr 26, 2011 at 08:09 AM in reply to Please!
      Not always , my husband took a job making less than his unemployment,so he could work and feel like a man again after being laid off. I know the majority is like you are saying but not all of them I would take a maid job right now if I could or had to. I am not to proud to take care of my kids I dont care what the job was if it feed them and clothed them! If you read my other comments you'll see we want nothing given to us except jobs and a fair chance to get back on our feet!!Its hard when you are trying! No one wants to help pay my bills or daycare or housing..I would be ashamed.Even if we did qualify for help which we dont because we have worked all our live and own a little piece of land(maybe not for long)and a car and we have a bank account.Nevermind theres nothing in it right now!!The people who try get stepped on by our govt and the society leeches who live off my tax money.But my kids cant get anything!What a great America we live in, keep it up Obama!!!Only another year or so till our country drowns in your bs!!
  • by Informed! Location: NC on Apr 25, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    Obama is an idiot. So are the people who voted him in that knew NOTHING of him except for the fact that he is black. They will be the same idiots to re-elect him with no more education (AGAIN) than the fact he is black. How sad for America. Obama likes to play the BLAME GAME and take NO responsibility for his 2 years of LIES.
      by was almost there on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:59 AM in reply to Informed!
      Obama did away with work first, where people on welfare have to try and better themselves and find a job. They only could get assistance for so long. Obama should have to give up some of his paycheck "which he doesnt deserve" To pay for these people!Then maybe he would change his mind!Our country will not get any better till he is gone!Hell Donald trump could manage our country batter then this. At least he knows a few things about managing money!!Someone needs to help us before osama, ooops I mean Obama kills this country anymore!!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 25, 2011 at 06:07 AM
    Thanks Osama, oops, I mean Obama
      by was almost there on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:55 AM in reply to
      Your soooo right anonymous!! Wish the rest of the country would relize this!!!
  • by US-First Location: Greenville on Apr 25, 2011 at 05:33 AM
    I know.... lets redistribute more. Lets build condos onto the schools so that homeless kids and their families have a place to stay until they get back on their feet. SO now we can give them free breakfast, free lunch, free in school dental care, free in school eye exams, free in school medical exams, and a free place to live. But since they now live at school we don't have to provide free transpiration which the CPO finds will more than pay for the program in 150 years. And lets make it last as long as they want it. Lets not encourage them out of the poverty by making even more fair decisions....other folks have cable TV with a big screen HD, VOIP, Xbox or PS3 and a cat or a dog. We have to be fair and make sure these things are available in these free school condos. We should also subsidize cells phones for them because other kids have them and bring them to schools (even though they are not supposed to use them) which could seem unfair. Oh, and lets make sure they have a maid to clean up the place. Meanwhile the teachers still don't have enough paper, pencils, pens unless they purchase them out of pocket or ask that Johnny rich and Joelynn middle bring in packs to be share with all!
  • by pete Location: grifton on Apr 24, 2011 at 04:14 PM
    They wanted change,now they got it.now 2012 vote him again.dummies.
      by No dummies on Apr 25, 2011 at 03:23 AM in reply to pete
      Change doesn't happen over night...after the down hill mess "he" left us with after 8 years.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120573959 - witn.com/a?a=120573959