Lenoir County School Fights Mold Problem

The recent rainy weather caused some mold issues for one Lenoir County school.

School officials say they found some mold in the Frink Middle School in La Grange. Crews replaced some panels on Monday.

Tuesday students were back in class.

The building dates back to the 1930's.

• by Anonymous on Oct 1, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    I thought those schools were built in the 1950s. Regardless of the age, something needs to be done.
  • by Sandra Location: Goldsboro on Sep 30, 2011 at 08:30 AM
    You cannot sue a contractor over mold in a school that we built over 70 years ago...they did not have in place, the same regulations as the builders do now. HOWEVER, the mold poses much larger health threats than the school system would like to admit to, they need to find money somewhere and fix the issues...I work in a school system and know that lots of money is wasted on fruitless things every day...they could find the money if the pressure to fix the problem was applied the right way.
  • by Tear Location: it Down!! on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    This was in my son's Class. The School wouldn't do anything about it so the Teacher who I will not Name took the Money from her own Pocket to have these test done. This Whole School smell Wet and Moldy, Way over Due for a rebuild.
  • by Taxpayer Location: Lenoir County on Sep 29, 2011 at 03:08 PM
    If this mold is due to poor design, sue the contractor. We cannot continue to build schools and then tear them down because of faulty design. Its simple to blame it on the weather when it is really bidding to the lowest bidder and stupidity at fault. Stop taking shortcuts on our kids health.
      by uh on Sep 29, 2011 at 08:58 PM in reply to Taxpayer
      Which 1930's contractor would you like to sue? We can dredge someone up from the old folks' home or cemetary and drag him into court, I'm sure.
  • by laura Location: greenville on Sep 29, 2011 at 09:12 AM
    Wow...mold is a huge pain! I have an older house, lots of shade, poor ventilation and I've been battling the stuff for the last few years. Once it gets in your walls, you almost have to go down to the studs to get rid of it, especially the black kind. I'm glad they're taking care of it- it's amazing how much better we all feel now that we've gotten our mold under control.
  • by ME on Sep 29, 2011 at 05:13 AM
    I agree with Parent-----but not only that school. My daughter doesn't have time to stop at a locker between classes because of the distance she has to walk between classes and her locker is on the other side of school. All kids with heavy backpacks will have back issues later in life. I hope they can clean up Frink well enough where no one else will get sick. Mold is nothing to mess around with, especially when kids have upper resp problems.
  • by Parent Location: Woodington Middle School on Sep 29, 2011 at 02:47 AM
    It would be great if they would order the new lockers and install them for Woodington Middle school. Having kids walk around with 70 lb back backs is going to affect school performance.
      by Wonder Bread on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:34 AM in reply to Parent
      I agree with you 100%!! My child attends Woodington and I can't stand to see my him with his back pack because it is so HEAVY!!! I am in pretty good shape and it hurts me to have to move it around!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130766883 - witn.com/a?a=130766883