Hatteras Island Apartments For Teachers Open

The public has a chance to see the new apartment complex built as affordable housing for teachers on Hatteras Island.

The open house and ribbon-cutting will be held Tuesday afternoon in Buxton for the project, which was built to attract and retain talented teachers who might not be able to afford to live on the Outer Banks without some financial help.

The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Va., reported that this is the second housing project built in Dare County for teachers. The first was built in 2008 in Kill Devil Hills.

Dare County officials used an interest-free loan to pay for the Buxton project. It will have 12 two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartments for teachers at Cape Hatteras Elementary and Secondary schools.

• by Me Location: Virginia on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    I just happened to come across this article and the comments and I can't help but respond to Heather, the resident expert on teacher salaries and public schools. I have a question about that private school you went to because of "how bad it all was" when you "looked" at the public schools. Did they offer English classes? While I know those people who suggested she try teaching weren't serious, the thought of someone like her in a classroom is frightening. However, if we don't do more to attract and retain excellent teachers, our children will suffer with the "Heathers" who sadly end up in the classroom because it's all that's left in the teaching pool. Then our kids will end up as adults who write public comments online full of grammar, punctuation, and capitalization mistakes. A "Heather" teaching in the classroom? Don't encourage her. Better that she tends to dogs and guinea pigs that don't have to read her writing.
  • by Steve Location: Ayden on Jul 24, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    For those still complaining about how little teachers make they need to look at Dept. of Revenue numbers and see that a teacher, on average, makes the same as the average for a family of 4 in this state. All for 9 months of work!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jul 24, 2011 at 07:36 AM
    Everything is higher on the OBX....I couldn't afford to live there.
  • by Perfect example Location: enc on Jul 23, 2011 at 06:21 AM
    Some posts here are perfect examples of just how little the public knows about teacher salaries. They haven't bothered to find out about "supplements" in many areas, or how average salaries are inflated by including those supplements. They are totally unaware of extreme shortages of teachers in poorer counties or, and in this case, counties controlled by wealthy out of state investor who created expensive living costs. This is only the beginning. In ten years, it will be worse-teachers are leaving the profession in droves. Most private schools pay even less because many have lower requirements for their teachers (I know because I interviewed with some). Teachers are people like everyone else who have to pay their bills and support their familes. Teaching has not been a "good job as a second income" for many years. Fewer women are married and salaries have been frozen. With added requirements for summer (two mos., not three), they are no longer available for second jobs that use to help. NC, and other southern states are only just beginning to get what they pay for-it will be a sad day when that comes.
  • by Justin Location: OBX on Jul 21, 2011 at 08:16 PM
    all of you are making pointless arguments!! no need to fight about what schools are better north or south. with all the budget cuts going on everywhere no school is amounting to anything. give it up the federal government, state, county and towns don't care what you think. the people need to stick together you never know you may need eachother one day.
  • by Teacher Location: Eastern North Carolina on Jul 21, 2011 at 03:16 PM
    Heather: I just completed my first year of teaching in Eastern North Carolina and am fortunate not to have student loans, as many college graduates do. I don't live above my means and am careful with my finances. However, I barely make enough money to get by each month. I also spend quite a bit of my own money on supplies, books, and other things for my classroom and students. I'm not reimbursed for these expenses. Please explain to me how teachers in a county with high housing costs are supposed to survive without some sort of help. Many counties offer sign-on bonuses or other perks, just as many businesses do, in order to attract high-quality teachers. I'm assuming from your previous comments that you went to school up north. Judging by your grammar and punctuation errors, they must not offer English classes "up there". I'd be happy to have one of my 6th grade students proofread your comments for you before posting in the future.
      by Heather on Jul 21, 2011 at 07:33 PM in reply to Teacher
      you picked the job. Sorry I went to school in the south. It is just another form of welfare. It will all be done with soon enjoy it while you can. Anonymous: You are right.
  • by ex NC teacher on Jul 21, 2011 at 02:41 PM
    I taught in NC about 4 years ago. After a few years of poverty, getting paid ONCE A MONTH, about $1400 after taxes, I moved to a "Yankee state," and tripled my pay. NC was a nice place to visit, but you wonder why they have the highest teacher turnover in the country- It's a bit hard to survive on $17K a year when you have $50K in student loans to pay back.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 21, 2011 at 01:44 PM
    TO HEATHER: TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. DON'T BOTHER WITH THESE PEOPLE. NO NEED TO REPLY TO ME I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK
  • by huh? on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Heather must boast direct lineage to Marie Antoinette.. let 'em eat cake right?
  • by To Heather on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Do us all a favor and move out if life is so bad here.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125796713 - witn.com/a?a=125796713