ARCHIVES: Edenton School Says Girl's Hair Is Too Wild For Class

School officials in Edenton say one 5th grader

Photo: Chowan Herald

School officials in Edenton say one 5th grader's hairdo is too much for her fellow students to handle.

The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reports that 10-year-old Jakyra Kearse was taken out of class Wednesday after coming to school sporting a mohawk haircut with dyed red and blue braids.

Officials say Kearse was put in a smaller classroom because her hair was too distracting.

Her mother, Ruby, is a former hairdresser who gave her daughter the look. She says her daughter has worn dyed hair before without any problems.

Edenton-Chowan Schools Superintendent Allan Smith says the school and the Kearses are working on a way to get Jakyra back into her regular class.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Not Equal on Apr 13, 2011 at 03:13 AM
    All state employees must have "normal" colored hair... this isn't a joke, it's true. So if we have to abide by those rules, so should children who attend our public schools. Is she there to look good or to learn? Save the hair for after school or weekends. If uniorms aren't too much to ask neither is control over flamboyant hairdos.
      by dee on May 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM in reply to Not Equal
      You said it, state employees not students. She's there to look her best and learn, they both go hand and hand these days. Do they even have uniforms in Edenton? Anyway, I have seen students wearing hair color to match their uniforms???????
  • by Dee Location: Washington Co. on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    I missed this story on the news, so I have been trying to find it and I did. The hairstyle is not as bad as people were saying. She's a cute little girl. Kids these days are used to different things, so why such an uproar. If you're raising a child today, your best bet is to get them in tune with all in the world today (or at least ignore it).
  • by Silence Dogood on Feb 25, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    I firmly believe that every person has the right to free speech, but come on people. It's mess like this that has made our public schools the way that they are. Guess that I just need to exercise my right to free speech and keep my mouth shut.
  • by s.s Location: columbia on Feb 15, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    Im in shock about half this comments not really everybody has there right of speech. But here there kids doing drugs in school & they do nothing but her hair is different & they kick her out. Our school teaches equal to everyone so it teaching just cause hair different she punished what about what your teaching our kids doing that. I dyed my hair from 15 to 25 every color, people get tattoos, piercings, do drugs my way of espresing myself was dying my hair. I think it is crazy, she didnt do no crime so stop punishing her all she did was speak out in her way. This story is being took crazy when it shouldn be. I think if they are going crazy over that whats next the color of skin or how dark or light there nails or clothes are. WOW S.side
  • by To concerend mother Location: everywhere on Feb 13, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    Where do you live? Oviously in the middle of nowhere, Bumkinland or something...Today people that look different work everywhere and just because they look different doesn't mean they are not smart.Maybe you are jealous?... look in the mirror r u a plain jane ???Awww to bad Leave this girl alone!!With everything else going on do we really have to make a big deal about her hair? How about drugs or pants sagging below the buts how about bully? Sounds like the school would promote that sounds like they are being the big bullies, Wonder if they were them in school. & maybe one day this girl will be famous and rich and exstravagent then the jokes on you bullies!! Lets get with the real stuff before we bully kids for being kids! Isnt this whats been big in the news lately teaching our kids not to bully others for being different? And here the school calls her out and tries to make her a target if you ask me! Get with it people! Practice what you preach! NoBULLNG IN SCHOOL KDS OR TEACHERS!!
  • by c-had Location: police state nc on Feb 4, 2011 at 08:47 AM
    We are in fact as americans entitled to freedomm of self expression.Why the school system think they trump our rights I'll never know.They do not have the right to do this.N A R R O W MINDED says it all!
  • by Not worth fighting about on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    I say leave her alone and focus on the drugs and violence at our schools.
      by dee on May 27, 2011 at 06:37 AM in reply to Not worth fighting about
      I agree.
  • by Republican on Feb 3, 2011 at 08:42 AM
    She's entitled.... (and her mother).
  • by ECUMOM65 on Feb 3, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    I like it! I wish I could get my hair to do like that, but I don't have the $200. It's probably in celebration of Black History Month, but I think it would be more appropriate for 4th of July. I hope she does orange and black for Halloween, etc.
  • by Dixiegirl929 Location: Tarboro on Feb 3, 2011 at 05:40 AM
    Well, I give her this much...Red & Blue are American colors..I don't see any white in there though. What's the odds our tax dollars went to pay for this "doo". And YES it is distracting. If I sent my kids to school wearing Madonna "cone" bras on top of their clothes, I would expect the same response. She's just getting her 15 min of fame and boy did she get it. The Photo should be titled, "CLOWN Herald" instead of "Chowan Herald". You GO girl!! LOL

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114742889 - witn.com/a?a=114742889