Students are back in class after a gas leak at New Bern High School this morning.
The leak was reported around 9:15 a.m. and several fire units and police were called to the scene.
Police say a deep frier was being serviced in the kitchen, and when it was removed a natural gas line was ruptured. Police say the gas was shut off right away.
About 2,000 people in the school were evacuated as a precaution. They were allowed back into the building around 9:30.
Incidentally, administrators tells WITN a fire drill was scheduled for Wednesday. Today's real evacuation will count for their required drill.
Designed by Gray Digital Media