A 15-year-old in Southern California student who hopes to become a firefighter saved his English teacher's life with the Heimlich maneuver when she was choking on an almond.
Judy Rader said she popped a few of the nuts into her mouth at the start of Wednesday's third period class at Cypress High School.
Freshman Sam Barrera sprang into action after she started hopping up and down and gasping.
The teen wrapped his arms around her from behind and squeezed hard, dislodging the nut. He learned the lifesaving technique in an online health course.
For the effort, the teacher rewarded Barrera with a big hug of her own.
Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.