NEW INFO: Ten Children Drank Windshield Wiper Fluid

The owner of an Arkansas daycare center where 10 children were sickened after they were mistakenly given windshield wiper fluid has surrendered her state license to child welfare investigators.

Hospital officials say a staffer mistakenly put the blue liquid in the refrigerator after shopping and later served it, thinking it was Kool-Aid.

Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, drank about an ounce of the fluid.

One child remains hospitalized. A spokeswoman for Arkansas' Department of Human Services descibes the daycare operator as "upset" and worried about the children. She told investigators the incident was "just a horrible mistake."

A toxicologist says the "take-home message is not to have these products in the kitchen or where you're doing any kind of food preparation."



Previous Story:
Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

Hilary DeMillo, a spokeswoman at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock, says one of the 10 children who drank the fluid Thursday afternoon is still hospitalized Friday morning.

Pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist Laura James says the child's blood samples had high levels of methanol, which can cause blindness.

James tells The Associated Press that the daycare staffer put the windshield wiper fluid in a refrigerator accidentallly after a shopping trip.

Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, each drank about an ounce of the fluid before realizing what it was.

Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, says child welfare officials planned to visit the Scott community daycare Friday. Munsell did not know the name of the daycare.



Previous Story:

Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after staffers at an Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

A pediatrician at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock says the children, ages 2 to 6, are OK, but continue to be monitored. The doctor said each child drank about an ounce late Thursday afternoon.

The hospital did not identify the Scott community daycare. State child welfare officials did not immediately return a call for comment Friday.

The fluid contained toxic alcohols. A pediatric toxicologist says those chemicals can cause kidney damage and blindness.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by AL Greene Location: ENC on Mar 15, 2009 at 07:00 PM
    It was some of the new Kool-aid from DC! I blame the teacher . What a fricking moron!!!! You never put a container of chemicals in the fridge =. Nothing is to go in there but food stuffs! I say give her some of that DC Kool-Aid! I feel for the Kids! They were innocent! God help them . Glad it was not my baby!
  • by Kelly Location: LaGrange on Mar 15, 2009 at 05:10 PM
    Sounds fishy to me. Wasn't the container a dead give-a-way. I don't believe that this was a whoops. Authorities had better look deep into it.
  • by p Location: Choco on Mar 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    anonymous on march15@12;38, why are you up here calling these kids dumb? Kids don't smell before they drink. The teacher was the dumb one. Don't blame the children. Hope they are all doing good.
  • by Kathy Location: Bath on Mar 15, 2009 at 09:25 AM
    Anonymous, you must be another person like the one that put the wiper fluid in the refrigerator. Shame on you for blameing the child. Must not have no heart. Hello!
  • by Ol ' Hoss Location: NC on Mar 15, 2009 at 08:31 AM
    I's agree it wuz them youngins faults. Shoulda known bettar if you askin me. Idiots.
  • by B on Mar 15, 2009 at 06:26 AM
    Anonymous on March 15 @ 12:38 AM: What a stupid comment! How could anyone blame the children?!?! They said that they only drank about an ounce...obviously they realized something was wrong b/c they stopped drinking after probably a sip or two...which makes the comment even more stupid! But I guess there is always one in every group! I pray that all the children will be ok and won't have any lasting affects from this.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2009 at 09:38 PM
    wow. That many kids in one group that are dumb enough to drink washer fluid. No sense of smell or taste buds, huh?
  • by kinston Location: nc on Mar 14, 2009 at 09:39 AM
    Somebody would have a good country --- kicking coming to them if my child was there. I have never heard of anything so sadly stupid!
  • by Kathy Location: Bath on Mar 13, 2009 at 07:55 PM
    Anybody in their right mind knows the difference in Kool Aid and Wiper fluid. They knew too. The law needs to dig a little more. If it was one of my kids, I would not stop until they were punished for it too.
  • by Grammy Location: Farm Life on Mar 13, 2009 at 07:23 PM
    This has got to be one of the worse things I have read in a long time. To think that these children were trusted in the care of these people and they haven't got the sense to know the difference from Kool-Aid and wiper fluid. Had my grandson been one of the children involved in this tragic act, I would be one the they put in jail. I pray that all the children recover fully.
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 41201367 - witn.com/a?a=41201367
Gray Television, Inc.