- This week, Carteret County School Board members voted unanimously to ask the General Assembly to repeal the 25% contract law and develop a more effective long-term plan for teachers.
- Gov. Pat McCrory says he's looking at whether he'd like changes to a law phasing out job protections of North Carolina school teachers while giving raises to the highest-rated instructors who enter multiyear contracts.
- There's nothing like a teenager to keep you on your toes and a group of students in Onslow County did just that for fire experts at the Hubert Volunteer Fire Department on Tuesday.
- Legislators sat before a group of frustrated Craven County educators on Thursday. The frustration? A new bill that phases out teacher tenure and replaces it with shorter contracts.
- Statistics show that someone dies every 32 minutes because of drunk driving. A national awareness program that's hoping to curb that trend visited Pitt Community College on Tuesday.
- Education budget-writer Sen. Jerry Tillman of Randolph County spoke at Tuesday's first meeting of a legislative task force looking at how to better reward educators while helping them become more effective.
- Three regional state government offices designed to help the youngest children with developmental delays or mental or physical disabilities are closing, eliminating 170 state employee positions.