Woman Charged For Mother's Death

Prosecutors have charged an Elizabeth City woman after they say her 90-year-old mother died from a massive infection caused by neglect.

The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reported that District Attorney Frank Parrish said Tuesday that the state medical examiner's office in Greenville advised him of the cause of Betty Baum's death.

Baum's daughter, 68-year-old Norma Raper, is charged with second-degree murder.

A judge has ordered that Raper be appointed a public defender because she is considered to be indigent. The chief public defender for the district that includes Pasquotank County is Andrew Womble, who says he likely will represent Raper at trial.

Police found Baum's body Sept. 5 at the home she and her daughter shared.

• by laura Location: greenville on Sep 29, 2011 at 09:07 AM
    Caring for elderly parents is tough, and can be very exhausting. I don't know what happened here, but I do hope that anyone who finds themselves in a difficult situation with their parents, will seek help immediately. It doesn't take much for the body to shut down, especially as we age. Prayers for the mom.
  • by lery on Sep 28, 2011 at 08:10 PM
    well, if someone saw a 90 year old cutting grass in 100 degrees, why wount you have called the cops? just don get it, you should be presecuted as well
      by Toni on Sep 28, 2011 at 09:37 PM in reply to lery
      I didnt find it out until after the woman passed but I dont know enough or where they live to have been able to report it. I wish I did cause I sure wouldve reported it
        by Anonymous on Sep 29, 2011 at 05:31 AM in reply to Toni
        Then you have been with holding evidence until you posted here of another person that saw this, if it actually happened and did not turn them in as having a part in this womans death.
  • by Dar Location: Wilmar on Sep 28, 2011 at 06:12 PM
    You people should wait until you know all of the story. I know this woman. She is fine.
      by say what? on Sep 28, 2011 at 07:08 PM in reply to Dar
      not trying to be ugly, but if there was nothing there, she wouldn't be in court. she knowingly allowed her mother to pass away, from a massive infection. i would gladly give everything i've got to have some of my relatives with me who have passed. dang sure would have had records of doctor visits if it was me. multiple visits if needed.
      by Really??? on Sep 29, 2011 at 04:45 AM in reply to Dar
      If you consider this individual to be fine then I surely don't want to run into you down a dark alley!
  • by KT on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    WITN- Why did you mention that she was "indigent"? Normally, a persons financial status is not posted on the news.
  • by Been there- done that on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    We don't know the full circumstances. Seek out help if you are in similar circumstances. Don't try to do it alone! It's a difficult time especially when poverty or lack of funds is a factor.
      by toni on Sep 28, 2011 at 02:34 PM in reply to Been there- done that
      I know people that know her. She isnt innocent. Making your 90 yr old mother mow the lawn in the middle of the day as hot as its been..it wouldnt surpirse me if woman was getting social security checks and her daughter was using them to live off of.
        by wondering on Sep 28, 2011 at 03:03 PM in reply to toni
        so if you knew info like this, why didn't you contact authorities to let them investigate the situation. it is the public's duty to protect children and the elderly! maybe something could of been done to help the poor woman instead of sitting around doing nothing about it! just saying...
        by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 04:28 PM in reply to toni
        Need to charge you also, if you knew this was going on you are as guilty as the daughter.
        by frankie on Sep 28, 2011 at 06:22 PM in reply to toni
        yes seriously you should be charged as well
          by toni on Sep 28, 2011 at 07:14 PM in reply to frankie
          I should be charged because of something I found out AFTER this story was first published??? yea that makes sense. Im glad all yall assumed that I knew this stuff prior to this womans death. I assure you if I had known someone wouldve been notified.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    Such a terrible thing, wonder if she has ever done anything similar to this to other family members? May her mother now rest in peace.
  • by Really??? Location: Bertie on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    Info straight from the court room - The elderly lady had been laying in the floor for possibly a week. It is thought that she may have fell and daughter simply covered her up with a blanket and put a pillow under her head. She had 4 days worth of feces in her briefs, wrapped up with bed sores and only weighed 68 pounds. Such a sad and painful way to go! I seriously hope the daughter pays for what she made her mother endure!
      by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 02:35 PM in reply to Really???
      So sad. I wonder if the woman treated her mother so badly would she have hid the body to keep gettin social security checks.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    My mom died of a massive infection and was in a nursing home at the time, was seen at ER and discharged with nothing but a "bladder infection", and did 4 hours later as the infection shut down her organs.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2011 at 08:42 AM
    Such a horrible thing to do to your own mother...atleast her mother is in a better place away from the neglect and abuse.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130696938 - witn.com/a?a=130696938