NEW INFO: Man Charged After Armed Standoff Ends

A Wilson County man has been charged after leading deputies on a nearly 13 hour standoff overnight.

Eric Radke is charged with discharging a firearm within 300 feet of a residence.

Deputies say it all began around 5:00 p.m. when deputies showed up at Radke's house on Bloomery Road to serve involuntary commitment papers. While en route they were told Radke posted threatening comments on Facebook.

When deputies arrived they say the man shot around the home with a handgun and barricaded himself inside. Four neighbors were evacuated during the standoff and forced to spend the night away from their homes.

Around 5:45 a.m., after losing contact with Radke, the sheriff decided to tear gas the home. About 15 minutes later Radke came out on his own.

The Sheriff's Office says Radke was take to the hospital to be evaluated.

Previous Story

A standoff between lawmen in Wilson County and a man they tried to serve involuntary commitment papers on has ended, some 13 hours later.

The standoff is said to have ended with Eric Radke surrendering to police. Radke refused to come out of his house on Bloomery Rd. in Wilson, starting around 5 p.m. Wednesday. That's when officials tried to take Radke into custody for alcohol rehab.

Radke's daughter was allowed to communicate with her dad during the tense hours overnight. She says her father drinks heavily and is depressed and needed to go to rehab.

We checked Radke's record and found he has a pending DWI charge in Lenoir County. He was released from the Lenoir County Jail on January 9, just ten days ago. His next court date is February 20 for the DWI charge, along with reckless driving, driving while license revoked and having unsealed liquor in the car.

Previous Story
A Wilson County man is in a standoff with police that went on for nearly 14 hours and he still refuses to come out of his home.

Reports say around 5 p.m. Wednesday, 42-year-old Eric Radke went outside, fired a shot into the air and then barricaded himself inside his home on Bloomery Road in Wilson. Police went to his house to serve him with involuntary commitment papers.

Radke has had previous trouble with the law as he was pulled over on January 9 and charged with DWI. His daughter has told authorities that he drinks heavily and is depressed. Lawmen were ordered to come to the house Wednesday in order to take him to rehab.

It's not clear if threatening Facebook posts put up by Radke played a role in the decision to take him into custody.

His posts read:

"nobody is coming into my house, no body" and, "i hate everybody and if u come 2 my house, im gonna shoot u."

His daughter says that she thinks Radke got scared when officials showed up at his house and she's worried it won't end well.

Sgt. Wanda Samuel with the Wilson County Sheriff's Office told The Wilson Times that immediate neighbors were evacuated from their homes as a precaution and as of 7 a.m. Thursday no one is being let in or out of the neighborhood.

We will let you know when we get any updates.

• by Anonymous Location: Nowhere,NC on Jan 22, 2012 at 09:04 AM
    He was charged with "Discharging a weapon within 300 feet of an occupied dwelling", and taken to a hospital for treatment. After he gets out he will be picked up by S.O. Deputy (ies) and served with warrant.
  • by Beaufort County on Jan 20, 2012 at 04:44 PM
    What an amazing story. Something like this is also going on in Beaufort County and WDN as well AS WITN have printed and broadcasted it at every opportunity. I have read the article re: Radke and I have also read the articles posted in WDN as well as WITN regarding the siege on 12th street. I just don't understand the difference. Radke gets firing a gun in city limits. The Beaufort County man gets bomb threat, communicating threats and firing a gun in the city limits. Same circumstances but different level of leading the command operation. They let his daughter speak with him to try and diffuse the situation, this too, did not happen in Beaufort County. The truth will come out in Beaufort County and who is behind it. They will have their day in court!!! Judge not lest you be judged.
  • by Satchmo Location: Jacksonhole on Jan 20, 2012 at 07:17 AM
    The rot gut 80 proof he was drinking wore off. Rehab? No, more like a cell, clean him up and stick him on a chain gang for 30 days. This was a criminal act not a cry for help.
      by Thanks! on Jan 20, 2012 at 01:24 PM in reply to Satchmo
      Thanks Satchmo.....you prove my point of ignorance to a tee......Kristin
  • by w Location: wilson on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Tammy Winstead Pittman is the mother of his children. Baby's mama. A loser too!
      by millie on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM in reply to w
      Thanks. I hope everything turns out ok for him. It had to be a desperate situation and I am sure he was scared to death. Hopefully he will get the help he needs for himself and his family.
      by Raven on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:30 PM in reply to w
      He isn't a bad guy he is the father of my sister and brother he is a good guy just... needs help. He has trouble with my step-mother (Tammy) is all. It was aa big misunderstanding he didn't shoot at cops he thought someone was going to rob him and was trying to frighten them off, and if t he police would have let him see my sister then it wouldn't have been so long. He was scared....
  • by a Location: b on Jan 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    Clearly this man needs help...and the guns need to be removed from his home.
  • by mille on Jan 19, 2012 at 09:46 AM
    Why was he so mad at Tammy Winstead Pittman. Was that he girlfriend?
  • by Marijuana Vs. Alcohol on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:54 AM
    How many times have you heard of a "violent" pot smoker holding up in a place, refusing to comply with officers?
      by What? on Jan 19, 2012 at 08:59 AM in reply to Marijuana Vs. Alcohol
      And what exactly is your point? This man was depressed and was being involuntarily committed and did not want to go!! And here you go pushing pot!! An illegal drug! And talking about refusal to comply? Uh what? There are plenty of you potheads who run for the hills when you get caught and don't deny it because you know you will be charged. Your stupid comment has no place here to do with this man's personal issues and are not even remotely funny!
        by Marijuana Vs. Alcohol on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM in reply to What?
        Whoa there, now. Don't get yer panties in a bunch. I just made a point that most Pot smokers wouldn't resist arrest or become violent. Drunks are beligerent and unpredictable. Sounds like you approve of such behavior, if not doing it yourself. But your point is taken, marijuana is illegal (I think most of us knew that) and alcohol can be purchaced by anyone, including convicted felons. So that makes alcohol okay, right? BTW, how often do you see people addicted to Pot and need to go to rehab? I hope my point is understood. And thanks for calling my comment stupid... it made me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.
          by I apologize.... on Jan 20, 2012 at 01:23 PM in reply to Marijuana Vs. Alcohol
          Okay dude, I'm sorry. And I'm not trying to make you feel warm and fuzzy. I have had your type of argument with my teenage son until I could scream, who obviously thinks that pot should be legalized. That doesn't mean that I think this man was in the right. I just feel that he had some issues that were out of control, escalated, and he was backed into a corner. It easily could have gone very badly. The alchol didn't help (understatement). But too many on here tend to come on and have absolutely NO empathy with anyone and any situation. I don't know this guy, but I'm sure there are many that probably will comment that he should be put in jail for life or better - execution by bullet? hmmmmmm.....I just tend to try to be a little more understanding with the situation. Again, my apologies.....Kristin....
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:25 AM
    If i lived in Wilson county, I would be depressed too...
      by hmmmmm on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:47 AM in reply to
      Well I don't see you exactly bragging about where you live. What G-town? Crime city. Raleigh-Durham? Crime city. Redneck towns around Greenville? Wow....so proud. I live in Wilson and would live there before living in Greenville with all your robberies and murders thanks!
  • by Curious on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:46 AM
    what did the police charge him with in the end?????
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Jan 19, 2012 at 06:16 AM
    I would have had a standoff in the mirror if I knew the quote I saw he wrote on F/B. Sounds to me like some Bi-polar meds may be in the future.
      by Nice on Jan 19, 2012 at 07:45 AM in reply to Shine
      stupid comment, but what do you expect from someone from Shine?

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137652268 - witn.com/a?a=137652268