Arrest Made In Electronics Store Robbery, Assault

By: April Davis/ Clayton Bauman
By: April Davis/ Clayton Bauman

An arrest has been made in the case of a Williamston businessman who was assaulted and robbed at his downtown business.

The robbery at Marco Hi-Fi was all caught on surveillance cameras.

Bobby Forrest was charged Saturday with armed robbery and assault and battery. Police say the 17-year-old teen is homeless.

Jimmy Bryant says he was alone in the store last Tuesday when a man walked in and demanded money.

Bryant told WITN News that the man stuck a gun in his side and face and says at that point, he saw his friends walking down the street through his shop window. Bryant says he started calling for help, which startled the robber. He says he was able to knock the gun to the floor, and says when the robber tried to get it back they had a brief struggle, leaving him with a cut on his nose and a sore shoulder.

Forrest is being held on a $50,000 secured bond.

Previous Story

A 67-year-old Williamston store owner has just a few minor injuries after fighting off a would-be armed robber who struck in the middle of the afternoon Tuesday - and it was all caught on video.

The surveillance video was taken around 3:15 at Marco Hi-Fi company in Williamston. Owner Jimmy Bryant says he was alone in the store when a man walked in demanding money. He says the man stuck a gun in his side and face and says at that point, he saw his friends walking down the street through his shop window. Bryant says he started calling for help, which startled the robber. He says he was able to knock the gun to the floor, and says when the robber tried to get it back they had a brief struggle, leaving him with a cut on his nose and a sore shoulder.

Surveillance video shows the robber leaving, but not before pushing a box of cds onto Bryant - who says he managed to stay calm the entire time.

"I think I did the right thing. Some people say 'don't you think you were taking a chance?' But I think I'd be taking more of a chance if he pushed me down behind the counter on the floor and beat me with the gun or something, you know. When I saw the chance to knock the gun from his hands I did it," said Bryant.

Williamston police are still searching for the suspect, who Bryant describes as being 5' 9" ,160 pounds, and wearing dark pants, a dark hooded sweatshirt and a red bandanna.

PREVIOUS STORY:
Police are looking for a man they say tried to rob an electronics store in Martin County Tuesday afternoon.

Witnesses say the Marco Hi-Fi store on Washington Street in Williamston was robbed. It's been a downtown staple for many years.

Witnesses say no customers were in the store at the time but the owner was.

Witnesses also say a robber hit him with a gun and the gun was knocked out of the robbers hand.

The would-be robber reportedly ran away on foot.

• by d brown Location: killeen tx/ ft Hood on Jan 27, 2012 at 03:48 PM
    I've been knowing Mr. Jimmy every since i was 8-12 yrs old he was my baseball coach ,matter of fact he is the reason why i'm stil alive til this day if it wasn't for him i wouldn't be who i am today. He was like a father to me and to be honest he still is like a father to me. His kids are like brother and sister to me . Mr Jimmy doesn't have any racist in his bone he is a great individual all around he will definetly help anyone.And that young punk that went into his store to bother him is a coward he need to go to jail and be a "Man" and apologize to him after all these years he never bother with anyone.
  • by ??? Location: williamston on Jan 24, 2012 at 06:15 AM
    I am black i know jimmy he is a good man and not a racist.Jimmy his help alot of black people and have employed some.If bobby told the police he was homeless he lied he was not homeless he lift his home ok.And if jimmy had a chance to help him he would 't punch him in face,jimmy is the type that will ask him if he needed a job.So those racist remarks are not jimmy's they are people who don't know jimmy.
      by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2012 at 07:14 PM in reply to ???
      So who cares if you are black. I have been to Jimmy store and brought two big speakers for about 300 dollars and he wanted me to sell them back to him for 75 dollars for them. Can you say rip off?
  • by TSB!! Location: Williamston, nc on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    OMG!!! the things some of you are saying. Who are you to judge anyone. I know what he did was wrong and they caught him and he is gonna pay for it. For you to say lynch him this is not slavery times. He's in jail thats good enough. He has been through alot. And i really pray he gets to know the lord and becomes closer with his family. I love him just the same. He is human and makes mistakes. And you are technically "HOMELESS" if you do not have a stable home. And normal people cant get a job in williamston what makes you think someone with a record could.
  • by STICK TO IT Location: WILLIAMSTON on Jan 23, 2012 at 08:25 PM
    You racist people both white and black you need to stick to the topic there was a crime a person has been arrested take it to trial and go from there. The store owner did what he thought was right none of us no what we would do in that situation.
  • by Rex on Jan 23, 2012 at 05:46 PM
    This comment has been deleted.
      by Petey Pirate on Jan 23, 2012 at 06:13 PM in reply to Rex
      I never get away with saying that. Good post.
      by TSB!! on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM in reply to Rex
      How dare you!!!
  • by JON Location: Right here on Jan 23, 2012 at 05:18 PM
    well now we have to pay for him to sit in jail... how can anyone be homeless. there are houses all around williamston that are pretty much rent free that the workin folks pay for
  • by GT Location: Williamston on Jan 23, 2012 at 04:37 PM
    Straight-up THUG! Total waste of human flesh. If he's "Homeless" it's probably because he'd rather buy weed and malt liquor than pay rent. Good job on the arrest local LE.
  • by A K A prime time Location: native on Jan 23, 2012 at 04:04 PM
    I've known this kid all his life.Thank god he had a praying father,uncles, aunts,grandmothers and friends.I say honor your father that your days will be long on the streets.Glad jimmy is safe.Hope bobby get to know jesus.
      by timmy on Jan 23, 2012 at 09:32 PM in reply to A K A prime time
      Yeah, I am sure he appreciates the prayers. Let's see, it got him homeless and now in jail. ON the other hand, maybe it did help(he does have a roof over his head now). But, now the taxpayers that hate scum like him are footing the bill.
  • by Douglas Location: Greenville on Jan 23, 2012 at 03:34 PM
    My new GPS just told me to avoid the high-crime area near his store.
  • by mike Location: greenville on Jan 23, 2012 at 02:15 PM
    well he isn't homeless anymore.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137538093 - witn.com/a?a=137538093