Graham County Grandma Sentenced For Dog Attack

A woman will have to spend at least two years in prison after her grandson was mauled by family pit bulls and left in critical condition.

A Graham County jury found Susie Anderson guilty of felony child abuse Monday after a week-long trial. The child's mother goes on trial in March.

Two-year-old Mathyis Smith was attacked in November of 2010 by at least four dogs as he played in the front yard of the family's home in Robbinsville. Residents who rushed to help shot two of the dogs.

Social workers made three visits to the home before the mauling to investigate reports that the boy was living in unsafe conditions. The latest report came just days before the animals attacked.

• by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    As a veterinary nurse and previous owner of two APBTs (both were loving and gregarious dogs), I am well aware that all breeds have the potential to bite and/or attack. Dogs, of any breed, can react badly towards the taunting, crying, and high energy levels of children; therefore they (dogs) should never be unsupervised with children. I have been bitten by and attacked by two Labradors (in 2 separate countries!), yet I'm not calling for this breed to be banned. I propose people lacking common sense and responsibility be banned from owning dogs altogether - this is the only way to stop events like this from happening. Dogs are only as dangerous as their owners.
  • by BILLY Location: WAYNE CO on Jan 24, 2012 at 08:41 PM
    It's natural selection, people are gonna find ways to get themselves and their children killed until the end of time. Go ahead and tell yourself that your dangerous breed dogs is "different" yours is a teddy bear, woudln't hurt a fly...go ahead and keep it around around little kid. Pits, rotties, it doesn't matter how you treat them, they all have the capability to kill. Just like guns, dogs don't kill people, irresponsible, STUPID people kill people.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2012 at 05:08 PM
    I don't understand why anyone with any common sense would own a pit bull, especially if they have a child. I can't tell you how many stories Iv'e read that the owner wasn't shocked over the actions of their pit in a tragic incident. What makes a person want this type of dog ? Other than protection, I can't see any reason at all. And if you know they can be fierce in nature what makes you think they can be docile ?
  • by gypsy's gmama Location: enc on Jan 24, 2012 at 04:54 PM
    I agree with Newport. I have a pit and she is the baby. But all dogs act differently in packs! Sorry, good for nothing owners are the problem. No small child should be left alone with any breed of Dog period. Shame on Social Services for not removing this child from the household. I am certain there was more than just the dogs that concerned them. Hate the deed, not the breed.
  • by me Location: EnC on Jan 24, 2012 at 04:38 PM
    I am the owner of a black chow who is mean as they come even though I've spent a lot of money on training him the right way and I will NOT let my kids play with him, he actually lives with my parents, he is very protective of us but still wouldn't let my kids play with him, I don't think he would hurt them but I'm not taking any chances. However, I have a pit that does live with my kids and I and he is the total opposite, so like other's have said it is all in how you raise your pets and it's all breeds of dogs that can hurt people not just pits, I'm sick of hearing that excuse!
  • by me Location: EnC on Jan 24, 2012 at 04:38 PM
  • by NEWPORT Location: NEWPORT on Jan 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    i HATED pitbulls until my husband talked me into getting one---and the saying is true its not the breed it is the owner---pitbulls are VERY HIGH energy dogs if you dont have time to play with them DONT GET ONE if you dont outlet thier energy they will and if they are left to do it it is usually not in a good way---but you should never get an animal unless you can PROPERLY take care of them---i have the time---i can put a staek dinner on a plate on the floor and my pitbull would not touch it unless given the ok----so it is true i am noow a pitbull lover and it IS NOT THE BREED IT IS THE OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!
      by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2012 at 01:12 PM in reply to NEWPORT
      Blah Blah Blah.
  • by William Location: Greenville on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    CYCLIST... Are you planning to also BAN Labs, Retrievers, German Shepards, Dobermans, Rotts and little lap dogs... All can be DANGEROUS if provoked or trained to be bad. Think before you type next time. BTW: I am sad something like this took place but the Grandmother and Mother sound more to blame than the Dog!!! Should we ban cars because a person on a bicycle was hit by one????
      by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2012 at 01:42 PM in reply to William
      No William because they are not the ones you read about every single day mauling people to death!
  • by cyclist Location: greenville on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Stories like this make me mad as hell. Why are pitt bulls and other dangerous dogs legal in NC? They are not cuddly. They are dangerous and owning one and letting one free to attack is as mean spirited as doing the same with a Tiger.
      by just me on Jan 24, 2012 at 01:16 PM in reply to cyclist
      This statement is so dumb. Why don't you just make it illegal to have dogs altogether. They all have teeth and can bite, even little poodles and chihuahuas. And I take a little offense in you saying they are not cuddly, my rottweiler is a big teddy bear, and he is very cuddly, thank you very much.
        by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2012 at 01:43 PM in reply to just me
        Another STUPID comments reply.
          by anon on Jan 25, 2012 at 06:51 AM in reply to
          Care to elaborate? Because I completely agree with just me.
          by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2012 at 01:15 PM in reply to
          Yeah! Because I was attacked by a cuddly, loved pit bull! So whats the excuse my neighbors dog bit me. He had great owners. You cannot reason with STUPID PEOPLE so what is the point.
      by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2012 at 01:28 PM in reply to cyclist
      IF YOU NEVER OWNED ONE HOW CAN YOU JUDGE IT?
        by Anonymous on Jan 25, 2012 at 01:17 PM in reply to
        By the scars all over my neck, back and arms. Anymore questions?
  • by Anonymous on Jan 24, 2012 at 09:25 AM
    Do not trust animals with children!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137953213 - witn.com/a?a=137953213