Unloaded BB Gun Found With Elementary School Student

An elementary school student is in trouble after an unloaded BB gun was found this morning.

Officials at W. A. Pattillo School got a tip Wednesday after school and this morning the assistant principal apprehended the student as he got off a bus.

Inside the child's backpack they found an unloaded Air Soft BB gun. Administrators say Tarboro police were notified as well as all Pattillo parents.

Police say the boy said he found the BB gun in the woods near his home. The weapon was inoperable and police say they're letting the school handle discipline and won't bring any charges against him.

• by Ralphie's Mom on Nov 9, 2011 at 01:56 PM
    You'll shoot your eye out!
  • by Airgunner on Oct 7, 2011 at 02:13 AM
    Give me a break!An airsoft BB gun.These things shoot little plastic round balls.A rubber band and a piece of paper folded up hurts as bad as that does.Heck a homemade cherry popper made out of reeds with spit ball for the projectile hurts worse too.And I agree with another poster up here about a pencil being dangerous.I was stabbed in the neck with one in the seventh grade.What a stupid hoodlum he was.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    I certainly hope they provide an army of "Grief Counselors" to address this senseless act of domestic terrorism. (Is this really the same country that won WWII and put a man on the Moon in one generation?)
  • by smh on Oct 6, 2011 at 07:45 PM
    if's a bb gun today but tomorrow it could be a columbine. what then...
  • by Reporter on Oct 6, 2011 at 07:43 PM
    An Airsoft gun is not a BB gun. It shoots large plastic pellets at low velocity, not metal BB's. Not that that makes it OK to bring to school, just would be nice to see accurate info on the news. A kid got busted at JH Rose this week for the same thing. He had TWO guns. Didn't see it anywhere in the news. ???
  • by To head skaker on Oct 6, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    It is the LAW that school officials notify law enforcement.
  • by Parent on Oct 6, 2011 at 05:57 PM
    I have children at this school and it really ticks me off that you people are acting like this is no big deal. There are kids at that school with serious problems. It's in a horrible neighborhood and those kids are always walking down the middle of the street in packs instead of using the sidewalk. They will stand there and dare you to hit them. Don't make the mistake of thinking that this child was completely innocent in this. He knew what he was doing. He wanted to see if he could get away with it. I'm very upset about it and want more to be done!
  • by Mom on Oct 6, 2011 at 05:15 PM
    I'm sure it was difficult to APPREHEND this student! Was he a run away felon? Really! I think this story could use some common sense.
  • by Concerned Parent Location: Here on Oct 6, 2011 at 02:41 PM
    Obviously your children must not attend this school. My child does. There needs to be some kind of action taken. Maybe this was a harmless act but what does it say to the next kid, who may not be so harmless, when this one goes unpunished. I send my child to school to get an education, not to have to worry about whether the kid sitting next to them has a gun or not. Kids don't understand the consequences that come from getting mad over a crayon and deciding to pull that gun out and pull the trigger. I realize this was just a BB gun but is that all the next one will be if there are no consequences for the action. Children pay attention to these things and when they see one child get away with something, they believe they can do the same. I hope it does not come to this but the thoughts of it will scare you to death when your child is sitting in a classroom with the one bringing the gun to school.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    The fact that charges were even considered just makes me shake my head.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131252979 - witn.com/a?a=131252979