Two People Shot To Death In Orange County Robbery

Two people have been shot to death in an apparent robbery attempt at an Orange County store, and authorities are searching for a suspect.

Sheriff's deputies responded to reports of a robbery around 4 p.m. Wednesday afternoon at the Week in Treasures store in Cedar Grove in northern Orange County. When they arrived, they found two victims with gunshot wounds.

Major Charles Blackwood said the owner of the store died at the scene, and the second victim was transported to Duke Medical Center, where he later died.

Blackwood said the State Bureau of Investigation has been asked to help in the investigation into the shooting.

• by G Location: G-ville on Jan 26, 2012 at 06:02 AM
    It is unfortunate that this type of crime happens everyday. Without really knowing the details, I am going to make what I think is a good assumption in that the owner probably attempted to resist and was a casualty because of it. This is why I just laugh every time I hear someone (or some nut) saying the answer is to have everyone armed. You will just have more people getting shot on both sides. Victims of robbery that are armed have to make similar decisions as police officers that 99.99% are not trained to make. This I think, though unfortunate for the victims and their friends and families, is just what I only assume is another example of why you leave the crime fighting to the professionals.
      by jd on Jan 26, 2012 at 09:03 AM in reply to G
      You are right, there isn’t enough info to draw any conclusions, this could have been anything. I for one don’t advocate “arming everyone”, it is a big responsibility that isn’t for everyone. OTH, I am responsible for my own safety, just like you are. But I have chosen to do so. Like it or not, the police rarely EVER arrive in time to save you as they often do in the movies. And they aren’t even under any legal obligation to protect/save an individual (google Warren v. District of Columbia). In fact, as a police officer friend of my (who is VERY pro concealed carry BTW) puts it, usually cops just show up after the crime has happened to investigate the mess. Frankly, relying on the police to protect you is nuts. Granted, I honor their service and I imagine they will certainly try their best, but unless we one day become a true police state with a cop on every corner, or until the teleporter is invented and thugs can be “beamed” into a cell the moment they attempt a crime, we can only really rely on ourselves. Now, just because one carries a concealed weapon does not automatically mean that it is to be used. Sometimes, depending on the situation (a judgement call), descretion is the better part of valor. I and everyone else I know who choses to carry is well aware of this. However, we really don’t know what happened here. It is entirely possible that the thug decided to eliminate the witnesses and therefore responding is the only possible way to have any hope of survival. And that is what those of us who carry are talking about. We aren't interested in fighting crime, we only interested in fighting to stay alive when there are no other good alternatives.
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM in reply to jd
        AGREE.
      by niteowl on Jan 26, 2012 at 09:05 AM in reply to G
      a very smart man told me once never to assume anything
        by Yeah? on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM in reply to niteowl
        I assume he was right.
      by steve on Jan 26, 2012 at 01:19 PM in reply to G
      Well in this case one of the dead is a retired deputy sheriff, so he was trained to make those decisions. unfortunately he probably left his firearm at home when he went to visit his friend at the store.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138114588 - witn.com/a?a=138114588