Police: Teen Shot To Death As He Tried To Rob New Bern Apartment

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

New Bern Police say Barry Wright Jr. was shot while wearing a mask and forcibly attempting to enter an apartment on Arlington Circle in New Bern. Wright was shot by the resident of that apartment just after midnight Saturday.

Police received a call about an armed robbery and found Wright dead upon their arrival. The investigation into this case is ongoing.

PREVIOUS STORY:
A death investigation is underway in New Bern after a teen was found shot to death at Kensington Park Apartments by police early Saturday morning.

According to police they responded to a call of an attempted robbery on Arlington Circle around 12:38 a.m. When they got there they found 18-year-old Barry Wright Jr. of New Bern dead from an apparent gunshot wound.

Police say they person who discharged the weapon is being questioned.

Anyone having information is asked to contact the New Bern Police Department Major Case Unit at (252) 633-2020.

• by SierraLeigh Location: Jax on Feb 15, 2012 at 09:28 AM
    My ultimate fear is to be awoken in the middle of the night by someone breaking into my house...armed or not. The more I see stories like this, the more I consider the idea of purchasing my own protection and training to shoot it accurately because I truly don't think I'd take the time to see how old they were or ask them if they had a weapon. It doesn't matter what the 18 year old was doing there, what he came for or "how good, funny or kind" of a young man he was. If the story is true that he made the choice to break into someones home then in my opinion, the owner was perfectly justified in defending it and his family! I am sorry for the loss of the family but I just can't rationalize such an intrusive act, no matter how old the person is or the reasons behind it.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 19, 2011 at 09:14 AM
    if any person enters my dwelling with out my permission weither its 2am 2pm and there carring a gift basket gusee what that puts my family in fear and yes i will use any means nessasarry to protect my property and person which means unloading a full clip of 45s into thr perp hey one day a lawyer can get me out of jail cant get me out the ground
  • by NykebaLuvdbymany Cross on Nov 18, 2011 at 09:12 AM
    You know it's sad that the boy died and that he was taken away from his family in such an unfortunate way, however the way he passed was the consequence he faced when attempting to take from another human being. I didnt know the teen, but im almost certain that he ran(did robberies)with the same guys that robbed my house and a number of my neighbors in the community where I once resided.If I was put in the same situation,not knowing if it was just a robbery that was going to occur as the home owner/renter, I WOULD'NT HAVE HESITATED EITHER. These teenagers/young adults need to tighten up, get some business about themselves. Just say no to drugs and malicious intent.
  • by butterflygirl Location: nb on Nov 18, 2011 at 08:44 AM
    ok i know the person from the news and this person was awakened along with several others to be questioned about noises or gun fire when this person and others were standing outside they all say the body being transported from the house on a gurney covered by a sheet and placed in an ambulance if you want verify this you can watch the video interview.She never said she saw the dead uncovered.
  • by j031194f Location: new bern on Nov 18, 2011 at 06:53 AM
    it hurts me bad knowing that we attended the same school although i am a year under him, us and others used to hang out from time to time. whether he was robbing or not the man should'nt have shot him. yes he shouldn't have been there and yes the Lord has the final say so but the shooter is a drug dealer and he knows who the boy is that he shot. and when he shot him he wasn't even inside the house. i just can't believe it to this day. smh. NO parent should have to burry there child expecially under those conditions. i dnt pay attention to what everybody has to say because like i said earlier God has the final say so. i just pray for his soul. and the shooter and the others whom were invovled
  • by AK47 on Nov 18, 2011 at 05:12 AM
    Getting shot or even killed is the risk you take B&E into someone's home to rob it.
  • by Loveingmyfam Location: Virginia on Nov 17, 2011 at 08:25 PM
    First I'd like to say I feel bad for the family of the life lost.. But "The shooter" has a family too and it could've been his and his two autistic children life taken. Univited guess after midnight these dayz aint lookin for a fight. His friends killed him and they should have to answer for it. At home minding your own business is supposed to be the safest place..
  • by Lovinmyfam Location: Virginia on Nov 17, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    First I'd like to say I feel bad for the family of the life lost. I'd also like to say if you are at someones house after Midnight uninvited with TWO CHILDREN inside scareing the family what do you think is going to happen. The "Shooter" has family who loves him too. He was at home with his family minding his own business when these young men showed up to their house. Also if someone is shot they don't have to just drop where they are shot. Mabe he tried to run with his boys after it was too late. They watch First48!!!! THEY KNOW THEY KILLED THEIR FRIEND&They should be chared wit this.. Lovinmyfam:)~
      by Just thinkin... on Nov 18, 2011 at 03:56 AM in reply to Lovinmyfam
      And I would agree with you...I would be afraid and defend myself and my family as well. Can I ask because I am not sure what you are saying, are you agreeing with that the two boys should also be charged as being responsible for this boy's death since this should have never happened in the first place (as I do agree with that), or are you saying that one of those two boys shot Barry? I am glad that you are speaking up to represent the family. I think it is responsible of you and I am not knocking you for that...I think it is nice that someone can shed a little light, although a lot may not like what you say. I'm not trying to be mean or cold, just basing that on the alot of the comments that I have read. I think this is a horrible situation and I do think that those other two boys have to be found. They should not be walking around with no repercussions from this.....
        by Lovingmyfam on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM in reply to Just thinkin...
        Yesss. I'm saying the "FRIENDZ should be charged. They may not've pulled the trigger but they were all there and not to watch Disney movies!! Thank you for understanding..
  • by Joy Location: New Bern on Nov 17, 2011 at 03:29 PM
    This is such a sad situation! It breaks my heart to read this and realize that this was a student of mine in kindergarten. I can still see him , his sweet mom and baby sister. He was always happy ,sweet, quiet, and had been taught manners. He was always very respectful and polite. He was a good student and well liked even at such a young age. I just feel that something is not right about this whole situation. I am so sorry to his family . Your are in my prayers and God Bless You.
  • by family Location: blounts creek on Nov 17, 2011 at 09:02 AM
    How do you continuously shoot someone that don't even have a gun...coward I say...this is stupid...and the nbpd need to investigate more...bring in these boys that were with him...the dude that shot him I guarantee you he knows the other boys that were with him...just thinking about it makes me sad and heart broken....
      by Anonymous on Nov 17, 2011 at 07:27 PM in reply to family
      Sorry to say but a coward is also someone who robs instead of working for it
        by HUHH on Nov 18, 2011 at 06:35 AM in reply to
        Sorry to say but uhmm yall still dont know he tried to rob someone. News will add ot take out anything just to get a good story or ears listening. REMEMBER THAT !

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133740423 - witn.com/a?a=133740423