NEW INFO: Court Appearance For Driver In DWI Wreck

The Pitt County teenager who police say was driving drunk when he crashed his car and killed a passenger had his case continued in Pitt County Superior Court Thursday.

Omar Chahid, 18, is facing several charges including second degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon, felony hit and run, driving while impaired, and driving while license revoked.

The charges stem from the March accident on Fifth St. in Greenville near Greenwood Cemetery. Taylor Weiss, 22, of Greenville, was killed in the wreck. Four others, including Chahid, were injured.

Chahid's case is now set for April 5th.

Previous Story
The Pitt County teenager who police say was driving drunk when he crashed his car and killed a passenger will make a court appearance Monday.

• by Anonymous on Feb 10, 2012 at 06:48 PM
    It is sad and I know Omar is hurting. I agree with JMM sometimes things happen that is out of our control. I am glad JMM told his story. I hope other people get help for their issues before it is too late.
  • by gypsy's gmama Location: enc on Feb 9, 2012 at 04:07 PM
    It is such as shame that both of these families will never be the same. This young man made bad choices that affected a lot of lives in an instant. Where does an 18 yr old get liquor anyway? Where are all the parents? I have a child that age and I know where she is..period. Its called communication and its a parents best tool. Use it! The provider of the alcohol should be punished.
  • by Which is more disgusting.... on Feb 9, 2012 at 02:31 PM
    ...the filthy indecent behavior of so many Greenville and Pitt County inhabitants, or the corrupt dishonest tactics of the Pitt County judicial system and the lawyers and prosecutors who infest it? All of them, shameless!
  • by Officer1 on Feb 9, 2012 at 07:24 AM
    Guarantee that one of two things will happen today: Case gets continued because they are waiting on the SBI blood test report or it gets continued because the lawyer is judge shopping ... Hopefully I am wrong!
      by Officer1 on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM in reply to Officer1
      The above comment was sent in way earlier than the story update ... and Told ya!
        by Enough on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM in reply to Officer1
        The ease in which a court case can be continued is a travesty. I would be willing to bet that the case gets continued again and possibly again. What a joke our court systems are....
  • by To all Location: ENC on Feb 9, 2012 at 04:59 AM
    I know both Omar, and his family. We all used to play soccer together. I can tell everyone that Omar's family are great people, who did everything they could for little Omar. Unfortunately, Omar began hanging around the wrong crowd, quit showing up with his dad to play, and lost course. The result? Multiple run ins with the law that ended in tragedy. Although I do feel for the family, Omar will have to pay for his crime, but his parents should not be brought into this.... especially if you don't know them.
      by Anonymous on Feb 9, 2012 at 06:24 AM in reply to To all
      I could not agree more. Omar coached me all the way through highschool and this is not the little Omar I remember. I am so sad that this happened, but what happened happened and he must learn his lesson. I hope that his parents and sister can find some sort of comfort knowing that they have truly touched the lives of many in the community in a positive way through both the business and sports.
        by Sad???? on Feb 9, 2012 at 02:35 PM in reply to
        But not angry huh...if these parents are so great as you suggest, this couldn't have happened. Give us a break! Condemn the immoral punk criminal for his deed, don't express this dopey 'sadness'!
  • by Tinkerbell Location: ENC on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    Not only is the drunken driver responsible but so are the people who gave him access to the liquor. The legal drinking age is NC is 21 not 18.Prayers go out to all involved ;their lives will never be the same .
  • by Michele-Zach's mom Location: NC on Aug 1, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    Yes indeed this is a very sad situation...I feel for the parents of both boys...what about the parent that gave her car to these kids to drive.(she should be facing something) I agree with confused, If they were NOT under the influence why didn't they drive?? Or better yet WHY didn't any of them call one of their parents or grandparents or church teachers for a ride? There are a lot more fingers to point here then just Omar, but yes Omar did make a very bad choice...and it is not any of our places to judge. but for the grace of God, it could be one of our children!!! Prayers for all involved
  • by Cece Location: MA on Aug 1, 2011 at 06:13 PM
    So glad Taylor's death was brought to justice. Things like this happen when you're irresponsible. RIP Taylor Andrew Weiss.
  • by confused on Aug 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Although I understand Omar being charged how is it that none of the others involved are being charged. If they were not under the influence then they should have drove and if they were then they too should face underage drinking charges
  • by Teacher on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    I was Omars Chruch teacher and this makes me so sad that he made a lot of wrong choices, He had great Parents and Grandparents and they are hurting with the choices he made but LOVE thier son as they are getting through this .... If All the young people that read this sad story would just use it to not make the wrong choices this would be a good thing. In A Moment your life can change even if you do all the right things, Bad things happen to Good people everyday. Praying for you Omar....

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126505703 - witn.com/a?a=126505703