Simpson Police Chief Returns To Duty After Shooting

A police chief has returned to work, two weeks after being cleared by a grand jury for shooting a man.

Simpson Chief John Waters, Jr. says he's is back on duty and the police department is now back in operation. Waters says he returned to work on Wednesday, December 21, after being on paid leave since October 1st. Waters told WITN, he received lots of support from the community and now from the Village of Simpson. The Mayor and Waters are accepting applications for reserve officers, so Waters will not be the only officer in the department.

The Sheriff's Department had been providing the village with police protection.

Two weeks ago a Pitt County Grand Jury decided not to bring charges against Waters for shooting William Osbun on October 1st. The unarmed man jumped on the hood of Waters' cruiser and came after him, according to the chief. He called what happened a self-defense shooting.

In an interview December 14th, Waters told WITN News he was having second thoughts about his law enforcement career. The chief said he was upset with the way District Attorney Clark Everett handled the case, saying "I think the system could have done a better job of standing up for me on that level."

Osbun was in a coma, but recovered and has no recollection of the the events and now he's unable to walk, according to his attorney.

• by linda on Dec 28, 2011 at 08:00 AM
    I just Thank God you are back and now feel safer in this area. God Bless
  • by Buzzbair Location: Vanceboro on Dec 27, 2011 at 05:24 PM
    Good job officer, for doing your job
  • by Simpson Citizen Location: Simpson on Dec 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    This is ridiculous! There are so many other variables to consider in this incident. Both parties are going to argue that they were the victim. Personally, I'd rather have the sheriff's department in charge. I trust Sheriff Elks and his men wholeheartedly! Guess to each his own.........
  • by Simpson Resident on Dec 27, 2011 at 06:25 AM
    GREAT NEWS FEEL SAFE AGAIN HE WAS ALWAYS AROUND AND WORKING
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 03:37 AM
    Hope the DA scrutinizes every police shooting like this from now on.
  • by Sunshine Location: Elizabeth City on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    Yea! Great! Glad to know you will be out protecting and serving.
  • by Carl on Dec 26, 2011 at 04:43 PM
    I was just sitting here trying to determine just how may police cars I've jumped on lately. Chief you did the right thing by not waiting to see just what this guy had in store for you.
  • by commo sense Location: greenville on Dec 26, 2011 at 04:02 PM
    @No Justice: the difference is he is a man of law and you are a civilian. Just make sure in case you have an emergency dont call the police if you dont want any defense or protection
  • by Anonymous on Dec 26, 2011 at 02:07 PM
    YEAH!Now maybe I can pull out of my neighborhood without of the fear of getting nailed by people going way over the posted 35 MPH!!!
      by 40some on Dec 26, 2011 at 03:42 PM in reply to
      You'll be ok. Stop and look both ways to make sure nothing's coming. Works every time.
        by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2011 at 02:52 PM in reply to 40some
        I have been going that longer than you!! Try living between two curves with people speeding around the curve as you try to pull out!! Looking both ways isn't worth much when someone is barreling around a curve at 45 to 50 in a 35 mph zone!!! I so worry about the students that have to get on the bus at the end of my road..One day an accident will happen!!!
  • by No Justice Location: ENC on Dec 26, 2011 at 01:51 PM
    If it was you or me we be in jail without bond.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136225548 - witn.com/a?a=136225548