Rape Suspect From South Africa Brought Back To Face Charges On OBX

A four-year effort to get a suspect from South Africa wanted for rapes on the Outer Banks back to North Carolina has finally paid off.

Police say the suspect, 37-year-old Lesiba Matsoake, sexually assaulted multiple women on the Outer Banks and Virginia Beach between 2003 and 2006. He’s charged with five early morning assaults and is being held on a $2-million-dollar bond at the Dare County Detention Center where he faces two counts of first-degree rape in June 2003

One rape is alleged to have occurred on the beach in Kill Devil Hills and another in Duck.

In Virginia Beach, Matsoake is charged with two counts of forcible sodomy and one count of sexual battery in connection with three assaults between 2004 and 2006.

Police, the FBI, U.S. Marshal's Service and U.S. State Department were all involved in the extradition efforts.

Police say Matsoake lived in Virginia Beach at the time of the assaults and they collected DNA from his home which led to his arrest.

• by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    To Finally, I agree with you. That DA for Dare County has been a great DA who I have a lot of respect for. This scum wont be running free in the United States and honestly should be deported instead of being a waste of our tax dollars. That animal has done what it takes to try to give the Outer Banks a bad reputation. None of us want him anywhere closeby.
  • by Finally on Feb 2, 2012 at 04:21 PM
    The DA in Dare county and a female, she will make sure he never steps out of prison!! So happy these women can feel safe with this man behind bars.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    nobody today cares about slavery so stop holding it ouver our heads! we didnt have you enslaved your own people did! you need to be thankful you are here and not in africa starving! if you still wanna argue bout your "rights" and black history month then go back to africa
  • by allstatebear on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    TO KG: as an adult I see my mistake, i see how wenc could be using sarcasm in his comment, thanks for the insight
  • by wenc on Feb 2, 2012 at 05:44 AM
    Good article for black history month, shows the real history we should learn about!
      by allstatebear on Feb 2, 2012 at 07:38 AM in reply to wenc
      wenc, Your can’t be serious, I grew tired of posting and responding to ignorance on this site, but your comment is sad and ridiculous.
        by Moderators Nightmare on Feb 2, 2012 at 08:00 AM in reply to allstatebear
        What wenc wrote is accurate. You may not like it, but it is reality.
          by allstatebear on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM in reply to Moderators Nightmare
          So only black men stalk and rape others, seriously, the reality is this is a heinous committed by an idiot
          by KG on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM in reply to Moderators Nightmare
          You are just as misinformed as WENC. It's black history month...how is this black HISTORY?!?!?!? I can't believe the comments I read!! Sheeeeesh
        by wenc on Feb 2, 2012 at 09:31 AM in reply to allstatebear
        I'm only pointing out that we here so much about slavery that it's also important to learn about our life as it's being lived today.right or wrong look at the facts! It's the african americans that are holding each back from sucess.
          by Allstatebear on Feb 3, 2012 at 06:01 PM in reply to wenc
          I agree with that last part, if u didn't see it I gave my apologies to my last comment
        by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM in reply to allstatebear
        It's called being a REDNECK. I am from Morehead City and I am white. Comments like this show pure ignorance. Whites, blacks, mexican, biracials and you name it commit this crime and every other.
          by Cornholio on Feb 2, 2012 at 04:00 PM in reply to
          Not at nearly the same rates. Do you read well or understand statistics at all. It shows ignorance to make a blanket statement like "Whites, blacks, mexican, biracials and you name it commit this crime and every other" and not shoe any inkling that you have any concept of statistics or the math involved in this. White males do rape black women.... about as often as we have a leap year. Black men rape white women at a much higher rate. In fact the numbers would astound and shock almost everyone. I read the stats, you are simple minded if this is the best you can do.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Feb 2, 2012 at 05:32 AM
    If DNA is linking him to the rapes, and guessing the women could also I.D. him, then he should definitely pay for these outrageous crimes. Now, I have to wonder why the Australian man, involved in Zahra Baker's death or coverup, was deported; just askin'...
      by ralphie on Feb 2, 2012 at 07:23 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
      you refer to zahra's dad, who did NOT harm his daughter...
        by beachbunny on Feb 2, 2012 at 09:35 AM in reply to ralphie
        he left his daughter in the presence of a very unstable women who abused her and you don't see that as harming his daugther? I hope you are not a parent ralphie!
        by Formerly O.L.I. on Feb 3, 2012 at 03:29 PM in reply to ralphie
        ...but he did have other charges against him. It hasn't been determined yet, who killed the little girl, who lied about the cover-up. And remember, he lived with that woman during the time she is alleged to have killed the girl.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2012 at 05:16 AM
    Here are some facts about South Africa. "It is estimated that a woman born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped than learning how to read." "According to a survey for the period 1998–2000 compiled by the UN, South Africa was ranked first for rapes per capita. The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the 'rape capital of the world'. One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year. More than 25 per cent of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to rape; of those, nearly half said they had raped more than one person. Three out of four of those who had admitted rape indicated that they had attacked for the first time during their teens. South Africa has amongst the highest incidences of child and baby rape in the world." Why are we letting these people into our country?
      by Because... on Feb 2, 2012 at 06:20 AM in reply to
      ...They are equal. Haven't you read the laws in this country?
  • by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2012 at 04:43 AM
    Black History Month?????? Perfect Report!
  • by Shine Location: NE NC on Feb 2, 2012 at 02:21 AM
    Remember that movie 'Tom Hanks' did about being on a deserted island????? I had to endure it at least one time. His head reminds me of that soccer ball or volleyball or what ever it was that Tom Hanks would talk to. LOL !
      by Anonymous on Feb 2, 2012 at 07:20 AM in reply to Shine
      WILSON! COME BACK HERE WILSON! LOL
  • by Anonymous Location: OBX on Feb 2, 2012 at 02:18 AM
    Take him out about 5 miles and see if he can swim
      by agree on Feb 2, 2012 at 05:54 AM in reply to
      I wish they would!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138534809 - witn.com/a?a=138534809