Convicted Killer From Edenton Found Dead In Prison Cell

Officials are investigating the death of an inmate found hanging in his cell at one of North Carolina's highest security prisons.

Carl M. Ober III was found Jan. 8 at Maury Correctional Institution, a 1,000-cell close security prison for adult males near Hookerton.

A spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Public Safety said deputies from the Greene County Sheriff's Office are investigating to determine how Ober died. It was not immediately clear whether the 26-year-old inmate was under any sort of suicide precautions.

Ober was serving a 32-year sentence for a 2006 murder conviction from Chowan County.

• by friend on Jan 24, 2012 at 02:01 AM
    I was a friend of Carl's and his family. Although I do feel bad for the family. I feel even worse for the grandmother. And it is very difficult for me to feel very sorry for him. I do know the circumstances of how he became blind, I do know the circumstances of how he and his girlfriend killed his grandmother. I encourage family and friends who do not feel the same to stop reading these posts. Because if I as a friend find it hard to sympathize, I can only imagine how some feel that didn't know him.
  • by Appalled on Jan 23, 2012 at 09:49 AM
    Shame on you WITN2 news station for taking pleasure in the pain of others. I would be willing to bet if anything like this happened to a relative of a person who works in your station, this would have never even been aired or posted
  • by Anonymous on Jan 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    WOW!! Now this is a Christian speaking like a Christian OUGHT to speak!! No matter the hatred that has been spoken here by other, this person STILL has/shows love for you all!!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2012 at 06:42 PM
    she was put under investigation and "reassigned" to the Eastern Region Office. She retired early last year. It was a total witch hunt. Trust me...I know.
  • by ?????? on Jan 22, 2012 at 05:16 PM
    the full blame of what happened should fall on the administration at maury. the superintendent is an egotistical, self-centered person who only cares for himself and a select "few" of the staff members. until raleigh gets it together and starts putting educated people in positions to run prisons such as maury there will be problems. 30 years of corrections experience doesn't make you fit to be in charge of anything.
  • by Keith Location: Farmville on Jan 22, 2012 at 02:39 PM
    I can't say how I really feel about some of the comments I have read. They wouldn't post this if I did. I am friends with Carl's father as well and I don't believe you will find a more honest and humble man anywhere. We have all done things in our life we wished we could change, I know I have. It's like Brian said, Some of you folks who posted these hateful comments may very well one day have to read this same stuff about your children.
  • by Brian Location: Bertie on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    I also work with Carl's father and I want everyone to know that if you have children like most of us do we all should watch what we say about people because no one knows what news tomorrow could bring to our own family then all those hateful comments from people that you dont even know come back to haunt you.
      by James on Jan 22, 2012 at 03:22 PM in reply to Brian
      Brian: you can cut the self righteous act. His father needs to realize alot of us commmenting on here does know him and his son and his deceased grandmother. We will never feel any remorse for this killer. He was that. A plain down right murderer. It is bad anough to kill a complete stranger for no reason but your own close family member: there is no excuse. Stop and think of the torture she went though at his hands, how she must of felt knowing her own grandson was taking her very life away from her. YOU want us to fill pitty on Ober III. No way. Hope is father can come to peace with all of this. Yes it has to be a h--- of a cross to bear knowing what his son has done both with his grandmother and himself. Hopefully for his sake he can find peace. As far as OBER III he will never find peace as he is with satan as we speak.
        by Amie on Jan 23, 2012 at 08:12 AM in reply to James
        You think Carl is with satan...but the bible tells us to judge not lest ye be judged! So remeber that. You sit here and talk about satan as if you are a Christian. A true Christian would never say such hateful things. Even Jesus died for everyone, even someone as cruel as you. I hope oneday you see the light of his love. I aslo pray you never have to loose a child or someone in your family and then have to hear all thes hateful comments. No nothing excuses what he did, but at least he was paying for his crimes. I bet you can't say the same!
  • by Get over yourself Location: Greenville on Jan 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    This was someone who thought that because he had a 'tough' life that he could get away with the things that he tried. There is no reason to feel sorry for anyone. No one should pity this person. Do you pity Charles Manson? He was a brother and a son, but it does not change the fact that he is a killer. There people die every day in prison. The only reason why this one is in the news is because its under investigation. If he were just another run of the mill criminal we would have never known. You reap what you sew.
      by Brian on Jan 22, 2012 at 01:50 PM in reply to Get over yourself
      I work with his Father and he is a good man and I would do anything I could to help him out so I replay to you with a question if it was your son and the shoe was on the other foot how would it make you feel if I had posted what you did about your son? If everyone was perfect I guess we would have to be like your family huh......
        by Get over yourself on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM in reply to Brian
        I never said his father wasn't a good man and I never said I was perfect. As far as the shoe being on the other foot, I would have disowned my son the day he killed a member of his own family. What people had to say may affect me a little, still doesn't change the fact that my son is a killer.
      by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2012 at 02:42 PM in reply to Get over yourself
      Great message. Do relatives of murderers feel compassion for the widow or widower and orphans of a murder victim. Do relatives of a rapist pity the rape victim who will carry the mental scars for the rest of her life? The public is tired of crime and criminals. The public does not respect criminals, alive or dead.
  • by Bertie on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    I really believe that WITN should do away with the comments sections on here. Some people are so cruel with their snide remarks. It only hurts the family members of the people on here and what good does it do anyway.
      by James on Jan 22, 2012 at 01:45 AM in reply to Bertie
      It lets everyone know including his family we as a soceity do not feel one iota a bit of mercy for people like Carl Ober III. He deserved the ultimate punishment through our state penal system but due to bleeding heart liberals he did not receive it. His grandmother can now truly rest in peace. Justice has been finally served to a degree. Justice would of been served perfectly if he had to of died the same way he killed his helpless grandmother who by the way had done nothing but help him and I am certain once she realized what he was attempting to do to her it killed her inside before she actually passed away. So with this said his remaining family that managed to care for him in any way at all has my sympathy but only for them and certainly not for Ober III. As far as I am concerned satan can have him.
        by anon on Jan 22, 2012 at 02:35 PM in reply to James
        wow. thank God you aren't qualified to make judgement calls on someone else's soul. what would the One who is qualified say about yours?
  • by Larry Location: NC on Jan 20, 2012 at 09:14 PM
    He killed his own Grandmother! For what? Sick!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137719843 - witn.com/a?a=137719843