Missouri Mother Charged With Murdering Toddler Son

Prosecutors have charged a 20-year-old suburban St. Louis woman with murdering her 13-month-old son.

St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch said Wednesday that Shelby Dasher is charged with second-degree murder in the death of her son, Tyler. She was arrested early Wednesday and is being held on $500,000 cash bond.

McCulloch says Dasher admitted to police that she repeatedly struck her son because he was crying and "wouldn't lay down, wouldn't go back to sleep." He says she told police she disposed of the body.

Dasher reported her son missing Tuesday. Police say she initially told them she overslept that morning and discovered him gone from his crib when she awoke.

People walking a dog discovered the boy's body later Tuesday near a cemetery about a mile from his home.

Previous Story

A person has been taken into custody in connection with the death of a 1-year-old boy whose body was found near a St. Louis County cemetery.

Police say in a news release that the person was taken into custody early Wednesday in the disappearance and death of Tyler Dasher.

The person has not been booked into jail and police say no further information will be released until the prosecuting attorney reviews the investigation.

Tyler was reported missing from his home in Affton, about 10 miles southwest of St. Louis, around 11 a.m. Tuesday. His mother, Shelby Dasher, told police she overslept that morning and discovered him gone from his crib when she awoke.

Tyler's body was discovered Tuesday afternoon near a cemetery, about a mile from home.

Previous Story

Saint Louis Police say they have found the body of a one-year-old boy who was reported missing Tuesday morning.

Late Tuesday night, police confirmed they found the body of 13-month-old Tyler Dasher in a wooded area about one mile from the child's home.

Friends and neighbors broke down when they heard the news outside of the family's home Tuesday night.

Police have not said how the child died or if foul play is suspected.

• by Patsy Cline on Nov 18, 2011 at 05:00 AM
    I must have had good children. I never once felt like killing either of them. She should have called a friend/relative/neighbor to ask for help while she cooled down. Too late now. Having to live with this horror is going to haunt her forever.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    It is actually nice to know there are people who can admit that a continous cry from a child can break you....still sad though.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    UNIMAGINABLE to me! That is disgusting, to beat your toddler to the point where it dies right in your hands and then go dump the body. My stomach is turning. I feel so terrible for the boy. People give up your kids if you can imagine being in this person's shoes! This is sick. How is there even a bond?
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Nov 17, 2011 at 04:58 AM
    Good that she admitted it so police can stop an endless search for a suspect. It's just so terribly sad for that little boy. I wonder where the Grandmother was during that moment, as stories said they all lived together.
  • by Whoa Location: If I May on Nov 17, 2011 at 03:04 AM
    At 22 I was holding a child in my hand like a football. He is our son. My wife miscarried 1st. The child would not shut up. I gave my wife 10 seconds to grab the child or I was well......I was mad at the infant and jealous too. All the attention that was coming my way was being funneled to this kid. This occured the eve I was set to go to inpatient rehab. We worked through it and around it. Emotions were a mess because of the miscarriage. Today my oldest is my bud, I am married 33 years. There are days I still HATE myself. I HAVE TO sit at times and count blessings and thankfully I KNOW my GOD hears whispers.
      by Kathy on Nov 17, 2011 at 06:29 AM in reply to Whoa
      How courageous for you to admit that. My husband too felt the same way. Our baby was crying and I was putting color on my hair while he watched him. The baby would not stop crying so my husband spanked him through the blanket; he was 2 months old. After knocking some sense into my husband with a slap, he was horribly guilty and never spanked our son again. He is now 19. I thank God I was there. A crying baby can make you just about crazy when you have done everything you can think of to soothe them. I know, with the colic and crying, I threw a bottle down the hall and just screamed but I was able to take control of myself. I am giving this woman a pass by any means and I think she should get life. You gotta know when to walk away.
        by k on Nov 17, 2011 at 01:19 PM in reply to Kathy
        I hear you,,I had to step in many times to keep mine from being beat,,glad he(the MAN) is no longer in our lives! So sad for the family of this sweet little boy! Prayers!
      by Whoa on Nov 17, 2011 at 02:19 PM in reply to Whoa
      It has taken a lot and it is a continual thing. Lamaze Classes that we took; I do not ever recall any of that mental issue of, this thing is gonna rip your life apart daddy. My parents were great advice givers to the point of making me sure it was no longer 2 but 3. Parenthood continued on into college years etc. Don't recall there any mentions of the fact I would get into jealous rages. Anyone own 2 cats and see what can happen if your don't feed one when the other's bowl gets placed down?
  • by Wolfgang Location: Chocowinity,NC on Nov 16, 2011 at 08:10 PM
    AFFTON, Mo. (AP) — A suburban St. Louis woman who claimed her 13-month-old son had vanished from his crib was charged Wednesday with murdering him, after prosecutors say she admitted beating him because he wouldn't stop crying.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 16, 2011 at 03:00 PM
    I cant understand how these mothers can just throw away their children. My daughter has cancer and cant have any children.She would give anything to hold and love a child. God will deal with them when they meet their maker.I really fill sorry for them when they do.
  • by Crystal on Nov 16, 2011 at 02:14 PM
    My thoughts and prayers go out to this little boy. He is one of Gods angels now. It is so sad that something like this seems to be happening a lot here lately. It is very heart breaking.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 16, 2011 at 01:47 PM
    HOw sad is this. The mother is in custody?? OH geesh. How sad, sad, and nutty.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 16, 2011 at 01:18 PM
    It is not impossible to over sleep when you have a child! Just because all you "perfect" mothers say you never have doesn't mean another person did. I feel bad for the family of this little boy but I myself know first hand it CAN happen. I have done it myself because my daughter would stay in her crib and keep herself occupied. Yes I felt bad for doing it but it happens we aren't all perfect.
      by Anonymous on Nov 16, 2011 at 04:56 PM in reply to
      No we are not but you don't get drank and beat your child unill he is dead and then throw him away. I beleive she shouldbe beaten

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133946698 - witn.com/a?a=133946698