Guilty Plea In Crash That Killed Two ECU Sorority Sisters

An East Carolina University student who was charged after two of her friends died in a car crash last year has pleaded guilty.

Kamil Arrington was given a suspended sentence and a year of supervised probation after her plea this morning before District Judge David Leech.

The judge also sentenced Arrington to 100 hours of community service, surrender her driver's license and abide by a curfew as directed by her probation officer.

Last November Briana Gather and Victoria Carter were killed when Arrington's car veered off Greenville Boulevard and hit a tree. A fourth student survived the crash. All of the women were members of the pledge class for Delta Sigma Theta at ECU.

The single car crash happened around 6:30 a.m. on November 20th, 2010 near the intersection of Greenville Boulevard and Rosewood Drive. Police said Arrington fell asleep at the wheel.

• by joseph Location: burlington nc on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:56 AM
    i think this was a tragic accident for the that was involved but their is no-way she should have plea guilty too this after all this was am accident that could have happen too anyone for her too be going too ecu as a black woman too better her life is just that a college education and nothing more because in this state a felony has no chance too get or have a great job in my eyes a felony makes the best worker they work hard just too keep from going back if no other option they do what they got too do too survive now don't everyone
  • by Ronnie Location: Illinois on Dec 8, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    We just passed the one year anniversary of the death of my niece Briana Gather. All this bickering about who is/was at fault is not necessary. Instead of finding something and/or someone to blame, just pray for all of our families involved. Remember Kamil needs our prayers also because they were all friends. There has been enough suffering caused by words. It is time for healing. Thank you. I will always love and miss you Brianna. Luv Ya, Aunt Ronnie
  • by A Tragedy Location: ENC on Dec 8, 2011 at 06:46 AM
    May God bless all families of those involved. Kamil, I don't know you but, I will continue to pray for your healing. Trust in God, He is the answer.
  • by smh Location: Washington on Dec 7, 2011 at 05:18 PM
    It was not here fault to my idea, She fell asleep, so want drunk, she fell asleep, Before anybody judge somebody, put the shoe on the other foot and than see if youo would like to judge than. My blessing goes out to the family's and to the driver as well, all I can do when I read some of these negative comments, is smh. But I want to send blessing out to you as well. And please dont post no negativity on my post cause I dont got time for it, I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Amen Amen Amen.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Dec 8, 2011 at 07:01 AM in reply to smh
      How does one 'rebuke' and 'bless' at the same time?
  • by Minister Location: Roper on Dec 7, 2011 at 04:13 PM
    It was an accident ( enough said)
  • by Reason on Dec 7, 2011 at 03:43 PM
    This was an accident, nothing more and nothing less. She was, no doubt, heartsick and still is. You shouldn't punish people when there is an accident without malice. How many of you have accidentally done something wrong? You simply appologized and went on with your life. Don't cast stones unless you are without guilt yourself. This was not a crime, it was a terribly sad accident. I don't know any of these people, but I can surely place myself in the situation and think how I would feel.
  • by DSTMEMBER Location: Greenville on Dec 7, 2011 at 03:39 PM
    The sorority is not at fault for this, I remember joining Delta Sigma Theta I was so excited about everything. I remember being tried, but I didn't get my hair done the day of the ceremony. These girls wanted to get their hair done, so they made early appointments. They could have slept in that morning but they didn't. I knew Victoria, she was a great person and I am sure that Kamil is suffering everyday. She made a mistake that costs two lives, she will forever punish herself for this. My problem with this is, when Ryan Worthington was killed by his friend that was drunk she keeps getting her case continued. She intentionally drove drunk, with suspended license after having two DUIs, this case should have already been to trial. But Kamil fell asleep and Carla was drunk, big difference in the crime,but not the same treatment.
  • by Anonymous Location: PA on Dec 7, 2011 at 02:36 PM
    Well for all those whom say she got what she deserved take a moment and think about what you say now. What if someday you yourself had an accident and someone was killed by accident would you feel that the tables should be turned for you. This case was all about money!!!! The government such as the courts and the attorney got money. That's why our country is in the shape it is today lets go to court and sue for ridiculousness. The government needs to stop all this foulish BS and focue on the real crimes for instant the GANGS that are intentionally killing people. That's what laws are for not an accient that was uninterntional. It could be me or you a family member one day. If they were texting racing etc then I would agree with the courts but falling asleep come on people. We need to run the UNION out of business.
  • by concerned Location: rky mt on Dec 7, 2011 at 01:14 PM
    I am so amazed by how people can be so judgemental. This was an accident.You are crazy if you think this compares to murder.That is ridiculous.This tragedy just goes to show you how quickly your life can change.Stay strong Kamil.
  • by ME Location: Washington on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    I understand where you all are saying that she will have to live with it the rest of her life that her friends died. But what about any other person that is not drunk but has fallen asleep at the wheel gotten into an accident and killed someone? You all would be saying prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law! Murder is murder any way you put it even if it is a horrible accident!
      by Anonymous on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM in reply to ME
      But murder isn't murder. The law doesn't recognize it that way, there are varying degrees of murder and manslaughter. It isn't simply murder=murder no matter what, otherwise self-defense which results in the death of an individual would be murder and the person would be charged for murder for defending themselves.
      by Bob on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM in reply to ME
      "murder is murder"...not true. Killing some one without intent is not murder unless it is done so while committing crime.
        by c-had on Dec 7, 2011 at 01:28 PM in reply to Bob
        These people have never read the definition of murder.By now I expect the ignorant remarks, sadly.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135174573 - witn.com/a?a=135174573