Friends Of Cumberland County Teen Shot At School Ask For Help

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

Friends of a teenager wounded in a school shooting last month are asking for help.

Fifteen-year-old Catilyn Abercrombie remains in the hospital after being shot in the neck October 24th while standing outside for lunch at Cape Fear High school in Fayetteville. The girl is being treated at Duke University Medical Center and is said to be in critical but stable condition. Two other students are charged in the case.

Now the local 959 United Steel Worker's union has adopted Catilyn's family which is in need of the community's assistance with medical bills and living expenses. You can help by calling the union at 910-822-1906

• by Charles Renkel Location: Fayetteville, N.C. on Nov 22, 2011 at 04:00 AM
    First off its truly sad that we live in times such as this. My son goes to Cape Fear and was not but 30 yards away when the shot went off at lunch. I truly belive that the school resource officer was the target as he was the one that was in a gang related fight the prior week, trying to break it up. Funny thing is the school did not report this to the authorities. So big jeers to the school for not reporting it. It might not have made a difference but at least the police would have known there was trouble. I hold the school admins accountable for this oversight. Was really stupid not to report this.
  • by Del Location: Kinston on Nov 20, 2011 at 09:21 AM
    Doesn't it make you proud to live in this great country.A country where a child gets shot and her parents have to get the begging bowl out in order to pay for medical treatment for their daughter.What a wonderful place the USA really is.Should it surprise us though when cops now pepper spray students.
  • by lilly Location: Winterville on Nov 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    Please quit all the negative talk and stick with what is important, this child and her family. If you want to help please do, if you don't, don't. I will help, and I don't care what the family does with the money, because in my heart, I know I did the right thing.
  • by Jacqui Location: Hope Mills on Nov 19, 2011 at 09:53 AM
    I am appalled at "Piratemans" comment. My son happens to know this young lady and I assure you, it's none of your business what their financial situation is, what is important is that this girl was SHOT minding her own business AT SCHOOL! Where is your human compassion? The likes of people like you are what is contributing to the decay in society. I hope you never have to suffer through a tragedy such as this, but if you do, I think you should reflect back on your heartless comment. "Its better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" .. thank you for leaving no doubt in the minds of those who are fortunate enough to have a mind set to see past your ignorance.
      by a question on Nov 19, 2011 at 01:00 PM in reply to Jacqui
      now this isnt my buisness, but the girl has been in the hospital for a long time in critical but stable condition--what happened (yes i know she was shot)--is she paralyzed? i am just wondering, thats all. ive seen people set up a page on facebook before when they needed donations for their child--do they have such a page? anyways, i pray this girl can fight her way through recovery, i pray that if she is paralyzed that she will miraculously regain mobility. and i hope whoever shot her doesnt sleep at night--i hope they get help and never ever do this to another human being again.
        by Any1 on Nov 19, 2011 at 04:30 PM in reply to a question
        She is walking, but her family posts updates from time to time on FB and said that she is in a lot of pain. They have had to go back in to repair her esophagus. I do not know how many surgeries she has had now, I know of at least 3. This girl comes from a good family. Nothing like some of the people on here are speculating. I heard that when she finally spoke to her mom that she told everyone she loved them and forgave the boys that did this to her. (Heard that 2nd hand though, it may or may not be true that she forgave them.) There was another fundraiser for her today. The last one raised a lot of money, but something happened. I do not know the details, but the family has not received much help. I did hear that the mom's former employeer, close friends and family have been chipping in. There is only so much money they can chip in though. And now the holidays are here and everyone is going to be more concerned with providing their children with Christmas. So she does need the help.
      by bertie on Nov 19, 2011 at 06:26 PM in reply to Jacqui
      If I read the comments correctly...I don't think piratman was talking about the girl, I think he was talking about the two that shot her. I could be wrong but that sure is how I understood it!!!
  • by Tired of People Playing The Race Card Location: Here on Nov 19, 2011 at 07:19 AM
    Formerly Pirateman, are you up here to vent about the kids parents status' or are you concerned about this young lady? People need to worry more about the victim and helping her family. And I take it you are referring to the kids bc of their color. SMH, was the young man who attended ECU and killed a military soldier getting government assistance? Was his mother on welfare? Was he raised by his grandmother? You would probably say no. Crime now a days has no color, age nor sex.
      by Anonymous on Nov 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM in reply to Tired of People Playing The Race Card
      with all tour talk are you going to help the family. and more to the point are you concern about the young lady or is this a chance for more of your lies,and haterd
      by true on Nov 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM in reply to Tired of People Playing The Race Card
      well partly true. the criminal in the case you speak of was actually defending himself, not trying to be a thug.
  • by ralphie Location: ahoskie on Nov 19, 2011 at 07:13 AM
    UNION taking the money? YES. Operative word: TAKING
  • by MB Location: Martin County on Nov 19, 2011 at 04:20 AM
    I would think the school has to cover those bills as it read; she was standing out side the school at lunch; I'm guessing still on School grounds. My Prayers going out to this poor Child and her family.
  • by Query on Nov 18, 2011 at 08:31 PM
    Why don't they get it from the two students charged with shooting her? Maybe their mother & father should have their wages garnished for a while?
      by Robert on Nov 19, 2011 at 12:56 AM in reply to Query
      There is a prerequisite to garnish wages......
      by Formerly Pirateman on Nov 19, 2011 at 06:27 AM in reply to Query
      First, their Moms probably don't know who or which one the Daddy is. Next, they are probably on public assistance anyway with no money to get from them. And, as typical, they are probably being raised by grandmothers because the mothers are spending their welfare money partying. people would be shocked if they knew the true extent of welfare out there.
        by martin county on Nov 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM in reply to Formerly Pirateman
        why would you assume that the mothers don't know who the fathers are and the welfare thing. just as many of you get gov. assistance as the people you are speaking of.your people have childern that are raised by grandmothers. i'm a foster parent and i know better than the trash and untruths that you are stating. what are you doing to help instead of lieing.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134160558 - witn.com/a?a=134160558