Former Lenoir Deputy Due In Court

A former deputy is due in court today, following his arrest on charges he trafficked painkillers.

The SBI arrested Clay Keel four months ago and charged him with trafficking hydrocodone pills. Keel was a former narcotics supervisor with the Lenoir County Sheriff's Office.

According to paperwork, SBI agents believe Keel was in possession of between 14 to 28 grams of the painkiller. The SBI says his arrest is part of an ongoing investigation that began in September. We will keep you posted on his case.

Previous Story
A former narcotics investigator with the Lenoir County Sheriff's Office is in trouble with the law after his arrest on Friday, accused of trafficking in pain killers.

The State Bureau of Investigation confirms that Clay Keel was charged with trafficking hydrocodone pills. A warrant says Keel was in possession of between 14 to 28 grams of the pain killer. Keel appeared before a judge Tuesday morning for his first appearance.

The Sheriff's Office says Keel resigned December 19th, and in a news release says it was not related to his arrest.

The SBI says his arrest is part of an ongoing investigation that began in September. Keel, who had worked as a deputy since 1999, was released after posting a $250,000 bond. He had been a narcotics detective since 2003.

• by Local Guy on Jan 18, 2012 at 03:01 PM
    There is no excuse for a dirty cop, doing the same type of criminal activity he is putting others in prison for. As much as it may hurt his family and friends, I'm sure he showed no pity to the ones he put in jail. Based on a couple dozen comments from people who dealt with him (on both sides of the law) he showed no mercy, which he should receive none in return. This is the reason most of the comments are negative in nature. There are LOTS of police that abuse the tin badge on their chests, and it's really hard for your average citizen to respect/trust LE because of this. I'm not a convict, don't partake in illegal activities, and I deal with many LEO's on a weekly basis. Some are good people, others shouldn't be allowed to have a badge. They are no different than anyone else, they just have to hide their activity more than anyone else. I hope that all of the dirty cops in the area are discovered and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the laws they swore to obey and enforce. I wonder how many times Clay said "do the crime, gotta do the time"....
  • by Rosebud Location: Lagrange on Jan 10, 2012 at 09:05 AM
    We have some very good law enforcement in this county. I would like to thank all of them for being there if I need them.
  • by bad cop no donut on Jan 9, 2012 at 08:57 PM
    Om in fact someone did compare him to god. It was Amy. She said "he is the choosen one and the world is gonna end". Lol at you fanatics and your hoaky religion. Also Amy needs spaell check. Cause its "chosen" not "choosen one". Choo Choo chootem chootem. You people from eastern nc are the reason our state is 48th in education. It is a fact that he has confiscated large amounts of money when he busted people that he never logged in. I know that to be a FACT. Personally I feel like he's worse than the people he busted. Most of the whole police force in that town is corrupt. There might be 2 out of 10 that are not. Truth is I know a lot of cops and a lot of robbers. I know what the facts are. So its too late to hide behind your "so called religion".
  • by haha on Jan 9, 2012 at 02:05 PM
    I have my facts straight. That deputy wasn't fired. Because i saw him after on the streets. And the ECU game it was a deputy. He wasn't a KPD.
      by newguy on Jan 9, 2012 at 04:22 PM in reply to haha
      you are correct haha, it was a deputy that was involved in the domestic and she was the one fired from her job when she was charged and he was not, the incident at ecu was also a deputy
  • by clay Location: kinston on Jan 9, 2012 at 05:48 AM
    chasing girls and riding dirty selling my dope, I put my competition in jail lockm up - no hope but I got caught and im going down just like the rest now no girls and no ride and no badge on my chest
      by idiot on Jan 9, 2012 at 07:50 AM in reply to clay
      Some people shouldn't be allowed near the internet.
        by clay on Jan 9, 2012 at 09:30 PM in reply to idiot
        hey self proclaimed " idiot" you don't have to be that way forever there are community colleges ged programs even ( dream the impossible dream) universities you could get yourself some learning
          by ClayConciousness on Jan 10, 2012 at 06:57 AM in reply to clay
          Why should anyone get an education? Look at what our local role models do!
  • by LEO on Jan 9, 2012 at 01:00 AM
    Clay was an excellent Detective.He was always willing to help anybody that truly wanted help. I have personally called clay at 3am when he was off work at home asleep just to ask a simple question. He has always helped with no complaints. Guilty or innocent is not for me to decide. I will say anybody else charged with this crime would plea it down to a seat belt ticket...now let me vent for a second....as for you google informed street side lawyers don't quit your day jobs if you have one. Trafficking can be charged just for the possession of a certain amount of a controlled substance. And yes I have charged several people with this crime so I do know what I'm talking about....There is a lot of good LEO.We enjoy our jobs and do it honestly. Who enjoys when officers get in trouble? Who hates LEO the most? People that break the law. We are still going to lock you up. You are still going to go to jail. We are still going to stand between you and innocent people. Cry corruption all you want. You are always the FIRST ones to dial 911 when you hear a strange sound in the middle of the night or some other crook steals your stuff. I don't tell you how to cook "crack". Don't tell me how to enforce the law. Keep playing on your computer,we will handle our business you handle yours.
      by Haha on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM in reply to LEO
      This is in reply to LEO. Not everyone making comments is a low life that has gotten in trouble with the law. We are hard working people that expect a little more from you so called deputies. And of course he would answer the phone.. Who wouldn't answer there phone in the middle of the night from a friend so what are you trying to say there???? I am sure he is a good person, good friend.. He just got caught and now he needs to do the time if he is found guilty. But just remember like yall say that every cop isn't dirty, not everyone making comments abt this is low life or drug dealers..
  • by Hello ???? on Jan 8, 2012 at 05:40 PM
    Are we still talking about this low life?
  • by I Know on Jan 8, 2012 at 05:40 PM
    To bil and Nothing,
    I appreciate your concern about how LEO especially the NCSHP are able to provide nice things for their families. To answer your concern its called an education and a JOB! You should try it it may work out for you too!
      by tom on Jan 9, 2012 at 06:12 PM in reply to I Know
      you said it so right they are so jealous
  • by Oh my on Jan 8, 2012 at 03:54 PM
    I agree with you about getting rid of ole Billy Smith. Because he always pats them on the back and said its ok just dont do that so the public can see you. Just like one of the deputy got into a domestic dispute with his wife and guess what he NEVER served one hour in jail or lost his job. If it had been one of use we would be sitting in jail serving our 48 hours. But ole Billy just turned his head. Another one was doing security at a ECU game and he was caught on video beating a young man and it was all over the news and youtube but guess what he got. Yep you guessed it. NOTHING. Just dont do anything like that so the public can see. So until the head man in charge is a GOOD person then how do we expect the deputies to be good people. And once again not ALL of the deputies are bad but most of them.
      by Oh My My on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM in reply to Oh my
      You can have your opinion on wanting a new sheriff by all means, but if you want to start talking about things you "think" you know about then lets get some facts straight! First the person that you speak of that got into a domestic dispute with his wife did lose his job. Just because everybody thinks automatic 48 hours, that doesn't always apply. You will find many people that have had domestic disputes not spend any time in jail, and this has nothing to do with LEO it has all to do with "those people" you vote into office. Next the person that you speak of that was on YOUTUBE was not even one of Billy's "boys", I do believe that he was employed by KPD. Where do you get the facts that you write about?
  • by bad cop no donut on Jan 8, 2012 at 01:11 PM
    Fact: he's been dirty for years. He lies, cheats, steals. Obvious scumbag is obvious. His family wants to compare him to god. So was god a junkie too?
      by Family on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM in reply to bad cop no donut
      NO ONE and I will repeat NO ONE in his family is comparing him to God!!!! You have lost your mind!!!! Don't judge till you know the rest of the story!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136618628 - witn.com/a?a=136618628