A former East Carolina University student athlete accused of making up a crime on campus had her court appearance delayed Monday.
Former women's basketball player Courtney Melvin, 17, is charged with two counts of filing a false police report. She told police officers that she was assaulted on her way to a morning workout in July. She later told police that the incident never happened.
Melvin, who was a freshman at ECU, withdrew from the university shortly after her arrest, according to Sports Information Director Tom McClellan. She had been a top recruit for the women's basketball program.
Her new court date is December 5th.
Melvin was the fourth ECU student to be charged with making up a crime on campus in the past three years.
Another East Carolina University student has been charged with making up a crime on campus.
ECU police have determined that an early morning assault on July 25th near Minges Coliseum never happened. A women's basketball player said she was assaulted on her way to her morning workout. But Chief Scott Shelton says the 17-year-old student now says the report was false.
Courtney Melvin has been charged with two counts of filing a false report. Police say she was arrested at her parents' home in Elizabethtown.
Melvin is the fourth ECU student to be charged with making up a crime on campus in the past three years.
In 2009 Shadia Moore told police she was raped in a classroom building bathroom. The next year Johnie Morris said he was robbed outside Aycock Hall, while Nikolas Frederick reported he was attacked and robbed outside of the student center. All three were charged with filing a false report.
ECU says Melvin, a 6'2" center, graduated from East Bladen High School and was most valuable player in the 2011 North Carolina East-West All-Star Game, scoring 18 points and 11 rebounds.
Melvin, who is an incoming freshman at ECU, remains on the women's basketball team. The ECU Athletic Department says no action will be taken against Melvin until the legal process is complete on the charges.