Deputies: Elderly Trenton Man Tried To Shoot His Wife

An 85 year old from Trenton is under arrest for attempting to shoot his wife, according to lawmen.

Jones County deputies say Tommy Hoyle tried to shoot his 86-year-old wife at their home Monday night, but he missed. The couple lives on Greentown Rd. outside of Trenton.

The woman was not injured.

Hoyle went before a district judge this afternoon on charges of assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill.

He told the judge he'd been married "60 years or more." The elderly man denied trying to kill his wife, but deputies say they found the gun, a bullet hole in the bedroom near where his wife said she was standing and gun residue on Holye's hand.

The judge set the man's bond at $50,000 secured and his next court date is June 29th.

• by HP Location: New Bern on Mar 21, 2012 at 01:31 PM
    After viewing the video, I couldn't believe I recognized Mr. Hoyle. I saw him nearly everyday when I worked in Trenton, and he is the sweetest little old man I thought I had ever met. There has definitely got to be more to this story than what we know. I'm sure he has some kind of issue going on. Prayers for him & his family.
  • by concerned citizens on Mar 21, 2012 at 09:23 AM
    At his age he could have some mental issues going on and the fact that the daughter in Georgia and called the daughter who live locally tells me that she was scared that something bad was about to happen. The fact that he denies shooting the gun leads me to believe that he either has mental issues going on or that he was really trying to kill his wife. If his mental status checks out fine then really people is not using a car a reason to kill someone?
  • by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 09:46 PM
    I'm beginning to wonder if witn is racist. They want the public to comment on all crimes committed by black people. Then reports they put on here about white people who committed crimes, you couldn't leave comments. Like the white teacher who molested 6 children and a couple of others. Plus they will accept all kinds of racist comments from white people but many blacks say their comments are not posted. Such a shame.
      by Bothered on Mar 21, 2012 at 01:45 PM in reply to
      Why are you talking about racist? No WITN is not racist. It just takes them to bring the racist out of the closet. If they did not post your comment, maybe it was not worth while to post. All I ever hear is racism. WITN does post about white crimes. I see plenty of comments made from both black and white. We The People, are so tired of people like you pulling race cards.
  • by Resident Location: Greenville on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:10 PM
    Sad but still makes me giggle just a little.
      by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:04 PM in reply to Resident
      It is pretty sad that the misfortune and sickness of others makes you giggle. That's exactly what is wrong with the world today.
        by Shrink on Mar 20, 2012 at 08:36 PM in reply to
        When we are no longer able to see humor in this corrupt world, we're in trouble.
  • by hummm on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:09 PM
    Wonder if I can claim dementia at 58 and get away with it?
      by Gwen Rouse on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:24 PM in reply to hummm
      I hope and pray you never have to watch your family member or yourself for that matter be slowly eaten away by this illness called Dementia. I watched my grandfather change daily thanks to this dreadful nightmare and finally it just took him completly. Before you pass judgement on this man that obviously you don't know do a little research on Dementia and the effects that it can have on the mind. In the mean time i will be praying that Mr. Hoyle gets the care that he needs.
        by quality not quanity on Mar 20, 2012 at 07:01 PM in reply to Gwen Rouse
        Watched both of my parents and others deal with dementia. Have made up my mind that I will go skydiving or fishing with a cinder block if it hits me. Belive in euthanasia and am prepared to move on when the time arrives. This Bible belt rust out mentality around here is not for me!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:35 PM
    I posted a clean comment and it wasn't posted!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by yukon on Mar 20, 2012 at 02:00 PM
    Ha no more Honey-do list 3 free meals a day free health care sounds like a plan
  • by AndeeTayler Location: Kinston on Mar 20, 2012 at 01:26 PM
    Benefit of the doubt there Barney. He didn't deny firing the gun so he would have residue on his hands. How do deputy's know intent? Just because she accused him, if she did, doesn't necessarily mean that's what happened. Maybe she's got dementia...maybe she's vindictive. It wouldn't be the 1st time a fellow's been wrongly accused. It may have been accidental. Who knows? The courts will have to guess at it.
      by Fed Up on Mar 20, 2012 at 07:21 PM in reply to AndeeTayler
      Why don't we leave these people alone. I am a friend of the family and I know for a fact that she does not have dementia, nor is she a vindictive woman. She has been a faithful wife for sixty years and has put up with a lot. Just let this family try to deal with their issues without all of your judgmental comments. they are going through a lot right now.
  • by B Location: Gville on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    You know old folks don't belive in divorce...... Till death do you part!
  • by IJS on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    I can't believe how some of you are making fun of this situation. It is not funny after 60 years of marriage and 85 years old he is facing jail time. What a shame. I do agree with one post he may have some type of dementia. Don't judge it could happen to any of you or your family members. And then some of you wonder what is wrong with society. It is people like the ones who post negative comments all the time.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143464506 - witn.com/a?a=143464506