Changes In Downtown Greenville Police Strategy

It has been a sometimes controversial plan, but changes are being made to how Greenville Police use their resources downtown and their strategy there.

Greenville Police and city officials discussed those changes with bar and restaurant owners Thursday night.

Officers say they have refined the tactics to be used late at night in downtown, including more enforcement of nuisance violations.

They also say there will be more flexibility on whether they will keep streets open or closed.

• by Noticed Location: ENC on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    The college kids get harrassed because they or their parents CAN actually pay their fines, court costs, and legal fees. The real criminals often can not; they get "free" legal representation, and often have to serve some minor time because they can't actually pay any money into the system. That's the way america is now, a few who try paying for many who don't.
      by Anonymous on Mar 21, 2012 at 06:52 AM in reply to Noticed
      You have no clue what you are talking about. I have been on both sides of this issue. I was a student at ECU and I am a local. College kids have no clue what being targeted by the police feels like. And that cheap legal representation is not worth the paper their legal degree was printed on.
  • by crash on Mar 18, 2012 at 09:19 PM
    Take away the taser and give the more fire power!
  • by GPD is a disappointment Location: Pitt on Mar 17, 2012 at 09:21 PM
    Greenville PD is a joke. I got charged with assault on a female when I, my 4 children(all under 7 years of age) and my mother was assaulted at the downtown McDonald this week while placing our order at the drive thrue speaker. The person assaulting us got charge with simple assault. The person assaulted my 6month old son, maced me and my mother and my 4 children. They live over 100 miles away. They drove up behind us in the drive thrue line and open my car door and assaulted us. I didn't hit the person assaulting us or even get physical with them. I removed their keys from their car and threw them across the parking lot to get them out of our car while I was calling 911. I called GPD for help and I get arrested for it. This happened in broad daylight so plenty of people saw it and most of it happened while I was on phone with 911. Greenville PD is a joke and I have no use for it anymore. The GPD should be ashamed of itself. Four children get assaulted and then have to see their father get arrested for protecting them in a way that did not use physical force/violence. I repeat GPD should be ashamed of itself. Now the PCSD is top notch in the way they are being ran now. I have seen a real difference for the better under its new leadership.
      by m on Mar 18, 2012 at 02:20 AM in reply to GPD is a disappointment
      100 miles away, should have stayed away.
      by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 06:57 AM in reply to GPD is a disappointment
      No big surprise. They have always had an attitude of overly enjoying their work. I once overheard once GPD officer say "Thats what I like to see" when they were arresting a student at a football game.
  • by jp on Mar 17, 2012 at 04:30 PM
    while they are protecting a couple of blocks downtown who is protecting the rest of the town?
  • by Anonymous on Mar 17, 2012 at 03:15 PM
    You really think the council is showing leadership? They are still a joke with the same players.
  • by JD to p on Mar 17, 2012 at 01:08 PM
    When was the last time you were "helped" by any leo? I stand on my own two feet!
  • by P Location: Greenville on Mar 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of the comments posted on WITN. The person who said GPD is a joke, what exactly do YOU do? Police officers don't get paid enough to deal with the nonsense they have to deal with, including the drunks downtown. Many of these officers have to work downtown on their days off!! Those of you bashing the GPD, I sure hope you don't ever need an officers help.
      by What do you mean?? on Mar 17, 2012 at 05:47 PM in reply to P
      they don't get paid enough... Do your job regardless of the pay... Typical cop attitude... I'll do what is easy......
        by P on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:01 AM in reply to What do you mean??
        "I'll do what is easy?" I will pray for your ignorance in church this morning..
      by Witness on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:41 AM in reply to P
      Actually Greenville pays a lot more than most departments!
      by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 07:00 AM in reply to P
      In close to 50 years, they have yet to ever help me... I don't need anything from them but I do wish they would do their job and bust the thugs instead of focusing on drunk college kids.
  • by jimmy Location: g'ville on Mar 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    i have suggestion, while the barricades are there, charge everyone $10 to get by. raises money and the kids will have $10 less to spend on alcohol
  • by Alan Location: Whereitsat on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    Why not put in removeable/temporary speedbumps/tables rather than actual barricades?
  • by Grove Location: Greenville on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Looks like the felons, Mayor Thomas, Council and Greenville PD are chasing out if downtown- are posting online. :) Keep laying the hammer down GPD, Mr. Mayor and council ! Thank you for finally showing some leadership which was badly needed in Greenville.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143007325 - witn.com/a?a=143007325