Burglar Steals Man's Christmas Savings In NC

A Monroe man says thieves made off with $900 while he took his family out for Thanksgiving dinner -- money he had planned to use to pay rent and buy his daughter Christmas gifts.

Ransey Taylor tells WSOC-TV that the money, stolen from a dresser drawer in his home, was all he had saved.

Taylor says he reported the burglary to police and received a kind gesture from the officer who came to investigate, however.

The officer, Sgt. Rhett Bolen, told the TV station he offered Taylor $20 to buy his 18-month-old daughter a couple of Christmas gifts.

Bolen says he was touched by the man's emotional response. He says he helped Taylor because he's fortunate and got into police work to help others.

• by A true woman on Nov 28, 2011 at 06:56 AM
    You know I read these comments everyday and there are some honset people in this world. I would rather send this family $ 1.00 to $50.00 if its gonna keep this man from doing wrong. At lease he didnt get mad and go out and rob anyone. Because he got rob. I rather help this family get back what they lost. Instead of paying for these people thats lock up in our jails and prisons. So if I can change one person mind not to do wrong cause it was do to them then thats what I want to do. So please post how I can help this family. And to the husband and father dont hold your head down. You will come out on top.
  • by Sounds Fishy To Me on Nov 28, 2011 at 01:27 AM
    Not to cast doubt, but the information seems to be too sketchy to rule out a 'faked robbery'. Were there any witnesses? Only the cash was stolen? In a drawer? Seems like the thief knew where the money was. Of course, no one would ever lie about being robbed just to get sympathy from others. I imagine relatives and friends would help him out (it is Christmas time) and if not, possibly some local people could step in to provide support. Even the electric provider might waive next months bill. Why would people from across the state send $1 to help out. It would be counter productive. The cost of a stamp plus the additional time & effort from the USPS (they have to deliver 900 letters) ...I'm sure there’s a better way. Nice thought, though.
      by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2011 at 04:16 AM in reply to Sounds Fishy To Me
      Why would people help out by sending $1. Hmmm, let me see if I can answer that. Maybe because most people are kind and generous at heart and would like to make sure his child has a magical Christmas. Or, maybe to prove that even when what is going on in our country paints a bleak picture there are still people who care. Think about it.
      by Annabelle on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM in reply to Sounds Fishy To Me
      What a world you must live in. Electric companies waiving a bill? Ridiculous. family helping out? Ever heard of family members being broke too? how is sending a dollar going to be counter productive? The cost of the stamp certainly isn't going to come out of the dollar now is it? OUR tax money PAYS for the USPS, they are getting paid whether they deliver ONE letter or 900 letters. Your Sherlock Holmes theory is laughable at best. Of course people can break in to your home and only take one thing, it is more probable that someone he KNOWS stole this money from him because they knew where to look. I highly doubt he is concocting this story to get 'sympathy'. Crime stories are a dime a dozen these days. Perhaps you can sprinkle more of your pixie fairy dust and help him out.
        by To: Annadingbelle on Nov 28, 2011 at 02:05 PM in reply to Annabelle
        My friend was out of work for 3 months. The city of New Bern utilities cut her bill in half for two months. Sending $5 would cut the deliveries down to 180...and USPS workers are paid by the hour. Your view of their job is skewed. I'm sure your local carrier wouldn't appreciate your comment. BTW, I give my carrier a Christmas bonus...do you?
      by Audra - SoCal on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:34 AM in reply to Sounds Fishy To Me
      Why would people send him money to help out? Um... because they care about other human beings? Fact is I'm on the west coast and I'm checking and rechecking this to see if there is a fund set up. I'm not even in the state right now so why wouldn't someone that's closer do it too? What "better way" do you have in mind? I don't see anything counter-productive in this scenario. The postal service is screaming that they don't have enough work so give them some. You'll be helping more than one person that way. By the way, Annabelle, our tax money doesn't pay for postage. I buy my own stamps.
  • by A little something on Nov 27, 2011 at 09:59 PM
    I would like to say that for the ones that are downing this cop...you all are terrible... I am the first to tell you that LE that put their lives on the line for you when they got to work don't make much money and $20.00 is a lot more than $0.00! I would like to help this family any way I can..WITN please let us know how to donate money and items to this family.
  • by Edwina Location: Wilson NC on Nov 27, 2011 at 08:33 PM
    This was a kind gesture by the officer. The sad part is for you heartless people that the next time it could be you whether you have the money at home, in the bank, or in your pocket. Crooks have no boundaries a kind gesture goes a long way. I hope that the man and his family get double of what was taken from them.
  • by greg Location: Greenville on Nov 27, 2011 at 07:44 PM
    He didn't have to give the man anything @ all u a%& hole! It was the thought that counts & something is better than nothing!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 27, 2011 at 07:39 PM
    Why wasn't the money in the bank atleast until he spent it? I never leave alot of cash at my house or carry it with me. So I guess the cops will never catch the thieves. Oh well. He will know better next time.
      by Anonymous on Nov 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM in reply to
      why put money in the banks and they are going broke day by day?you may have some today and be broke tomorrow if you leave all your trust in the so called banking system.
      by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2011 at 04:12 AM in reply to
      Anyone should be able to keep cash in their house without expecting someone to break in and steal it.
        by Concerned on Nov 28, 2011 at 08:19 AM in reply to
        Anonymous: Certainly u r correct but just maybe he should have put this in the bank or credit union in a Christmas Club account or some other type account. I also in no way am saying this did not happen but we also have to look at scams and it appears if it did happen it occurred by someone that knew where he kept his money. It is a shame and I would be glad to help the children if it is not a scam and finally I would like to say that everyone who thinks law enforcement staff are the scum of the earth until they need them needs to read what this "guardian angel" police officer did for this person. Thank you sir for your service to protect; your kindness; and being an individual with a top class heart. Thank You!
          by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2011 at 04:22 PM in reply to Concerned
          The police officer felt that he was an honest man. That is good enough for me. I still have some faith left in humanity.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 27, 2011 at 07:19 PM
    Yeah he gave him 20 bucks to buy his daughter a christmas present. Wow yeah that will work. Since gifts cost 3 times as much. He can buy an half of present.
      by Anonymous on Nov 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM in reply to
      20 bucks will buy more than you think if you know how to spend it right.
        by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2011 at 02:16 PM in reply to
        Um no it won't. He did it to make himself look good. If he wanted to really help they could have set up a fund in the department name and help that way.
          by Anonymous on Nov 29, 2011 at 07:26 AM in reply to
          Who made you so cynical and sour? Yes, $20 does help. Incidentally, if you think it's not such a great contribution then why do you think the officer did it to make himself look good. You just said it doesn't. Make up your mind. He did what he was able. How do you know he HAD more than $20 in his pocket? Stop being so nasty - what have YOU done for the guy?
      by Annabelle on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM in reply to
      How much did YOU offer?
        by Anonymous on Nov 28, 2011 at 02:15 PM in reply to Annabelle
        None I have my own bills. How much did you offer?
  • by Anonymous on Nov 27, 2011 at 06:27 PM
    please post the address we could send contributions to! It is nice to hear someone planning to provide for his family.
  • by Will Location: Greenville on Nov 27, 2011 at 06:25 PM
    This was a great gesture shown by the officer. Not all cops are cruel people. My heart goes out to the father. I know it was heart breaking 2 have your hard earned $ stolen by some low lives!
  • by msgnul on Nov 27, 2011 at 06:13 PM
    I would also like to help. Maybe a bank could set up a fund for us to donate to. Keep us posted.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134564543 - witn.com/a?a=134564543