DEPUTIES: Son Kills Sister, Wounds Dad In Wayne County Shooting

Wayne County lawmen say a man who was released from prison four months ago killed his sister and wounded his father in a shooting this morning in Fremont.

Deputies tells WITN News that the shooting happened around 7:30 a.m. at a house on Jasmine Lane and they believe it was domestic related.

Dead is 19-year-old Cquashanda Mitchell, while 56-year-old Robert Mitchell was wounded. The man was transported to Wayne Memorial Hospital, while the girl died at the scene.

Deputies say Rico Mitchell is in custody for the shooting and they are not looking for any other suspects. Major Tom Effler says the 22-year-old Mitchell was charged with murder and attempted murder. He is being held without bond.

Effler says the suspect was not living at the home when the shooting happened. He says both victims were shot multiple times and the father has been transferred to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. At last check he was in fair condition at P.C.M.H.

Effler says an 11-year-old sister and a 22-year-old brother were also in the home at the time and they were not injured.

Department of Correction records say Mitchell served time for communicating threats, simple assault and wanton injury to person/property. He was released from prison March 3rd.

• by Blonde Joan Location: Goldsboro , NC on Jul 20, 2011 at 02:15 PM
    Have a heart for this family, they are in great pain. His mother was my supervisor for years, these are hardworking parents who raised 6 children. Belinda's children were her "heartbeat" Pray for all of them!!!!!!!!!!! Walk in their shoes for awhile!!!!!!
  • by lil slim Location: fremont on Jul 20, 2011 at 09:26 AM
    rico was my home boy and the fact that he did this is crazy, rico was a cool guy and anybody that knew him would of never thought he could do something like this.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 15, 2011 at 05:28 PM
    I want to let the family know that I send my sympathy and prayers to the family. I know the mother has to especially be hurting because these were both her kids and she loves them both. It is a tragic situation.Be strong in the Lord.
  • by ????? Location: enc on Jul 15, 2011 at 08:24 AM
    The way it was told to me since people's health insurance of all levels have been cut. This man can no longer afford his medication.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2011 at 02:55 PM
    The story is not made up and right now, I think those that are close to the family and those close to friends of the family are more in shock. Now may be a more sensitive time and considering the year they have had, it may be to soon for the jokes. My prayers are with the family and I pray that they can come together in a time of loss and remain strong for those who need the strength.
  • by Awestruck Location: Greenville on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    Chain gang comeback?!
  • by needchange Location: nc on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    Seems he liked prison since he such in a hurry to get back there. I say dont hold him without bond just sending him straight to the death penalty.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2011 at 05:05 AM
    You know that he got the gun illegaly. I say he did the crime and now do the time. I am his second cuz, this is pre-meditated murder the book should be close for him. I pray is with his Dad that he make it thru and the rest of the family.
  • by Godisable Location: Pikeville on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:31 AM
    This is one of the most tragic stories I have ever heard!
  • by MyHeartgoouttoshanda Location: Pikeville, NC on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    This family is going through a lot right now so why don't you people just relax and pray for the family.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125476543 - witn.com/a?a=125476543