Governor Beverly Perdue has ordered the state to prohibit the scheduled release of 20 inmates from state prisons Thursday. However, the state says seven more qualify for release, based on the good conduct credits applied to the other 20 inmates.
Two of the additional seven were convicted of violent crimes in Eastern Carolina.
Joseph Seaborn was convicted of the first degree murder of Highway Patrol Trooper Guy Davis in Williamston. Faye Brown, another person convicted in that crime, was on the original list of 20 to be released.
Victor Foust was convicted of the murder of Dennis Mayo during a robbery in Wilson County.
The North Carolina Supreme Court ruled earlier this month in favor of prisoner Bobby Bowden, who argued a 1970s state law defined a life sentence as 80 years. Time-off credits allowed some like Bowden to get a day-for-a-day for good behavior, and 20 inmates qualified for release.
That had been scheduled for October 29 but is now on hold after Governor Beverly Perdue said prison officials didn't have authority to apply the credits to inmates in prison for life. Perdue wants the court system to sort out the issue.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.