A western Pennsylvania man has been charged with neglecting his disabled mother who weighed just 70 pounds when she died of burns caused when her cigarette caught her oxygen supply on fire.
Police say 53-year-old Rosemary McCurdy died Dec. 26 after suffering facial burns from a "flash fire." The woman had multiple sclerosis and had been bedridden for five years when she was burned Dec. 21.
Police say 22-year-old Victor McCurdy didn't take her to the hospital until five days after she was burned. He was arraigned Thursday on charges of involuntary manslaughter and neglect of care to a dependent person.
Police say McCurdy told them his mother didn't like hospitals, but he finally called an ambulance the day she died. He has pleaded not guilty.
Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.