Amish Sausage Balls
This Pennsylvania Dutch recipe for Amish Sausage Balls is so versatile! Whether as a crowd-pleasing appetizer or as a robust main dish, the Amish country flavors come through as loud and clear as the sound of a horse and buggy coming down a country road.
Yields: 26 to 28 balls
Cooking Time: 30 min
What You'll Need:
1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup light brown sugar
Make Beer Bread for Game Day
What To Do:
1. In a large bowl, combine sausage, bread crumbs, onion, and egg; mix well then form into 1/2-inch balls.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil; brown sausage balls 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour over sausage balls, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until no longer pink in center. Serve immediately.
• These are traditionally served over rice or curly noodles. However, we also found these perfect as an appetizer served on toothpicks.
• If you want to make these ahead of time, that's fine. Just reheat on a baking sheet in a 250 degree oven.
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Pork/Amish-Sausage-Balls#ma4BO8rSLg53pySD.99