Fire officials said a couple lost one of their two dogs after a hair dryer sparked a fire in their Martin County home.
Hamilton Volunteer Fire Chief, David Sawyer, said his crew and two others were called to a house on South Street in Hamilton around 8 p.m. Wednesday night.
Crews worked to combat the flames, and were able to rescue one of the couple's dogs, though the dog later died. The second dog survived the fire.
Chief Sawyer said a woman who lived at the home noticed her hair dryer was giving off a burning smell earlier, but she left the dryer plugged in before they left to go grocery shopping.
Crews said the dryer sparked a fire, damaging the bathroom and a bedroom. The home was damaged but was not a total loss, according to firefighters.
Crews said the fire likely would not have started if the hair dryer had been unplugged and removed from the home.
Officials said no one was injured after a home caught fire in Martin County Wednesday night.
Dispatchers tell WITN fire crews from Hamilton, Oak City, and Robersonville responded to a fire in the 100 block of South Street in Hamilton at 8:06 Wednesday night.
Crews said no one was injured in the fire.
No official word yet on the cause of the blaze.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.