OFFICIAL: Woman Killed In DC Chase Believed President Communicated With Her

A federal law enforcement official says the woman killed by police after trying to drive through barricades outside the White House had believed the president was communicating with her and was delusional.

The official, who had been briefed about the investigation, spoke on condition of anonymity Friday because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation. The official says the woman, 34-year-old Miriam Carey, had been in a deteriorating mental state since December.

The official says investigators have been interviewing the woman's family about her mental condition. The official says investigators believe the woman drove directly to Washington immediately before Thursday's car chase in the nation's capital that prompted the shooting.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous Story

Officials have confirmed that the woman involved in today's incident in Washington, DC is 34-year old Miriam Carey of Stamford, Connecticut.

Previous Story

Witnesses and officials say a woman driving a car with a young child inside tried to ram through a White House barricade, led police on a chase toward the Capitol, where police shot and killed her. The child was taken from the car to a hospital. Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrence Gainer says he knows of no harm to the child.

Tourists watched the shooting unfold on Constitution Avenue outside the Capitol today as lawmakers inside debated how to end a government shutdown. Police quickly locked down the entire complex temporarily, and both houses of Congress went into recess.

Texas Congressman Michael McCaul, citing a Homeland Security Department briefing, said the woman was killed. Asked if she was armed, he replied: "I don't think she was. There was no return fire."

Police described it as an isolated event and saw no indications of terrorism.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Previous Story

NBC News is reporting that a woman suspect in today's Capitol Hill shooting has died.

The Capitol Building was placed on lockdown after a woman tried to ram her car into the White House gate. Police say she was then chased by Secret Service to Capitol Hill, according to NBC.

Sources told the network that the woman had a child in the car.

"This appears to be an isolated incident," said Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine. "Both scenes are under control."

Dine says one of their officers was injured when his vehicle was struck by the fleeing car. The officer's condition is not known.

The entire Capitol complex was locked down for about an hour. Both houses of Congress went into recess.

Witnesses say at least 20 police cars were involved in chasing the Infinity toward Capitol Hill. One tourist says he walked toward the scene, curious about what was going on -- but the he "heard the gunfire" and hit the ground.

Previous Story

Police say the U.S. Capitol was put on a security lockdown after shots were fired outside the building.

U.S. Capitol police said the shooting was an isolated incident and not terrorism.

Chief Kim Dine says a person tried to get into the White House, but their vehicle was denied entry. Police cars then chased the vehicle to the Capitol Building where shots were fired.

Dine says one of their officers was injured when his vehicle was struck by the vehicle. His condition and the condition of the person in the vehicle are not known.

The lockdown was lifted around 3:00 p.m.

From: US Capitol Police #2SG3
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 2:28 PM
To: All House Staff
Subject: Shelter In Place!

SHELTER IN PLACE. Gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring all occupants in all House Office Buildings to shelter in place. Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, Go Kits and escape hoods; and move to the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows. If you are not in your office, take shelter in the nearest office, check in with your OEC and wait for USCP to clear the incident. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP. All staff should monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.


We encourage commenting on our stories to give you a chance to express your opinion. We rely upon the online community to report abuse. Repeat violators may be banned from posting comments. CLICK HERE for the guidelines for posting comments. powered by Disqus