Busy Greenville Intersection Reopens After Suspected DWI Crash

By  | 

Greenville police spokesman Joe Friday said about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday the intersection at Greenville Boulevard and Red Banks Road reopened after traffic was detoured all day after a crash about 8:20 a.m. Police say the driver of the pickup truck, 32-year-old David Chambers, that took out a utility pole is charged with DWI. It's his second DWI arrest in less than a month.

Previous Story
Police say a busy intersection will be closed for most of the day after a traffic accident this morning involving a suspected drunk driver.

For that driver it's his second DWI arrest in less than a month.

Greenville police say a pickup truck, driven by David Chambers, flipped over near the intersection of Greenville Boulevard and Red Banks Road. The crash severed a utility pole, knocking out traffic lights at that intersection.

The intersection is blocked and repairs are estimated to take seven hours.

Police say at first the 32-year-old Chambers refused medical treatment, but was eventually transported to Vidant Medical Center.

A police spokesman says Chambers will be charged with DWI and careless and reckless driving. They expect the man to be released from the hospital either today or tomorrow.

The accident happened around 8:20 a.m. and police say Chambers was eastbound on Greenville Boulevard when the crash happened. No one else was in the pickup truck.

On February 16th, Chambers was charged with another DWI, this time by ECU police. He has a March 19th court date on that charge.

Court records say Chambers was convicted for drunk driving in 2007, while Department of Correction records show the man is on probation for a felony B&E/larceny conviction from December.

Previous Story

Dispatchers confirmed with WITN that a vehicle flipped over at the intersection of Red Banks Road and Greenville Boulevard on Tuesday morning.

Witnesses said a truck had flipped over at the intersection.

Dispatchers told us that wreck brought down power lines in the area.

We'll keep you posted as we get more information about what happened during the morning commute.