Standoff Ends Peacefully As Man Surrenders To Greenville Police

A standoff in a Greenville neighborhood has ended. Police say the man who was holed up in a house since 9:00 a.m. surrendered around 12:30 p.m.

Police say James Winfield, Jr. of Washington is facing several charges, including assault with a deadly weapon, assault on a female, interfering with emergency communications, false imprisonment, communicating threats, and reckless driving to endanger.

It started shortly after 9:00 a.m. at the home on Stancil Drive after police got a domestic assault call.

Sgt. Joe Friday says Winfield was arrested last night for assault with a deadly weapon and communicating threats. He bonded out of jail and Friday says the man returned to the home this morning where he tried to hit the girlfriend with his vehicle.

The girl managed the escape unharmed, but Winfield would not come out of the house. Several streets were closed down and residents were told to stay in their homes as first officers, and then the Emergency Tactical Team, converged on the neighborhood.

After 3-1/2 hours, Winfield surrendered and no one was hurt. Police say no weapons were found in the house.

Previous Story

A man is holed up in a Greenville home after police were called there this morning for a domestic assault.

The police department's Emergency Response Team arrived shortly after 11:00 a.m.

Stancil Drive and Meade Street remain closed off by police. Police say a woman managed to get out of the house on Stancil Drive, but the man remains inside. It began around 9:00 a.m. and it is not known whether the man has any weapons.

Sgt. Joe Friday says the man was arrested last night, possibly for assault charges involving the woman, got out of jail, and returned to the home this morning where he allegedly assaulted the woman again.

Officers have their weapons out, and have staged in several areas around the house. Several dozen officers are at the scene.

Those who live near the house are being told to stay inside, while those not already home are being kept away. One mother told us she was at work when it began, while her two 16 & 8 year old children are inside their home, which is directly behind the home. That woman is asking police to