Martin County Fire Destroys Collection Of American War Memorabilia

A man that owns and lives in an apartment that caught fire Saturday night tells WITN that he's happy to be alive and blessed no one was injured, however, he did lose some priceless memorabilia.

Joe Wynn Jr., a 65-year old Vietnam Veteran, said he was watching TV around 6:00 p.m. Saturday when he saw a bright light outside his apartment at 1086 Creek Drive just outside of Williamston. When he went outside he discovered his storage shed in front of his apartment was on fire. That fire spread to his apartment.

The fire destroyed the apartment and shed and everything inside the shed, which Wynne described as an "American Picker's" paradise.

Wynn says the shed was full of antiques, momentos and photos from the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Vietnam War, and other items from American history.

Wynn says a loose wire from a floodlight sparked the fire.

He says he did not have insurance on the shed.

Wynn will be staying with his daughter until he finds a new place to live.


Firefighters spent most of Saturday evening battling a structure fire in the East. The four alarm fire happened on 1086 Creek Drive just outside of Williamston.

When firefighters got to the scene just after 6:00 Saturday night, the two story structure was fully involved. While the structure used to be a home, it is now used as a storage facility. There is, however, a small apartment behind the storage place.

The person who lived inside escaped the blaze without getting hurt. The Martin County assistant emergency manager tells WITN both the apartment and the storage facility are destroyed, but it could have been a lot worse. He says the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

It took firefighters 45 minutes to get it under control.