Onslow County Cracking Down On Internet Sweepstakes

Onslow County will now join at least two others in the state in shutting down internet sweepstakes locations.

Onslow County District Attorney Ernie Lee met with deputies Monday morning.

Lee says deputies were told to start enforcing the statute on the internet sweepstakes ban.

Cumberland and Wake counties launched a crackdown of the businesses after the North Carolina Supreme Court upheld the 2010 law banning sweepstakes games late last year.

Sweepstakes owners have tried to install new software at their locations that they say comply with the law, but district attorneys like Lee say even with the changes, the businesses are breaking the law.

Lee's decision is also expected to impact locations in Duplin, Jones and Sampson counties, which are also in his district.




 
We encourage commenting on our stories to give you a chance to express your opinion. We rely upon the online community to report abuse. Repeat violators may be banned from posting comments. CLICK HERE for the witn.com guidelines for posting comments.
powered by Disqus