Gunman Killed On NCCU Campus Identified

Authorities have identified a gunman who was shot and killed on the campus of North Carolina Central University late Monday.

Police say Tracy Bost of Charlotte fired a shotgun at officers after they confronted him on the university's campus.

Durham police had been looking for a suspected robber who matched the man's description.

The school was placed on lockdown for about three hours.

Bost was not a student at NCCU, according to a news release from the school. But, the man has an extensive criminal record for several crimes, including theft of firearms and B&E of vehicles. He was released from prison in January.

Previous Story

Police at North Carolina Central University say they shot and killed a man who came onto the campus after he exchanged gunfire with officers.

Officials at the public university said Tuesday the unidentified man had been tracked to the school by Durham police, prompting university officials to lock down the school for several hours beginning late Monday. A Durham police spokeswoman has not responded to questions about why officers had pursued the man.

The university says in a statement that campus police approached the suspect, but he fired a shotgun at an officer, and NCCU police returned fire.

The man ran into a wooded area. Authorities found him and told him to surrender, leading to a second exchange of gunfire and the man's fatal wounds.

(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Previous Story

Police at North Carolina Central University in Durham say a gunman has been shot and killed near the southeast part of the campus.

Durham police had tracked a suspect thought to be armed onto the campus late Monday, prompting officials to lock down the school about 10:15 p.m.

Police say the man was found in some woods around 1 a.m. Tuesday. Campus Police Chief Tim Bellamy said the man challenged officers with a gun and they fired.

The man's name has not been released.

Police say the gunman was not a student.

The lockdown was lifted around 1:15 a.m.

The State Bureau of Investigation has taken over the case.

Classes in the School of Education are being relocated Tuesday.