UPDATE: Marine In Court Accused Of Killing Jacksonville Grandmother

By  | 

A Camp Lejeune marine accused of shooting and killing a 65-year-old grandmother in December at a Jacksonville bingo hall made his first appearance in court Wednesday afternoon.

Officials at Camp Lejeune say Larry Forrest was a suspect since January, but was finally arrested Tuesday almost 3.5 months since the murder.

Private First Class Forrest will stay in jail charged with an open count of murder. District Attorney Ernie Lee says he is held without bond until his next court date. According to an arrest warrant, Forrest tried to take Kim Flournoy's purse with $500 inside December 30th. Jacksonville Police say he then shot her in the face.

Cheryl Scott who owns the store next door to the crime scene has been worried ever since, and was relieved to hear Forrest was arrested.

"You don't know where he's at, so you're constantly looking at people coming in your store. You're watching to make sure that doesn't happen to you. Its scary," said Scott.

Investigators say a man dressed in black in security video taken from the TNT Beach Bingo is Larry Forrest and they can prove it. According to search warrants that were unsealed Wednesday, investigators say the white Dodge Avenger seen in the video was found the day after the murder at Forrest's home.

Inside police say they found clothing used and worn during the murder, high caliber ammunition, and plenty of DNA. Police say it took months to analyze the forensic evidence that was found inside that car.

Flournoy's daughter was in the courtroom Wednesday, but did not want to be interviewed.

Previous Story

Camp Lejeune says a Marine arrested yesterday for the murder of a grandmother has been a suspect in the case since January.

PFC Larry Forrest was arrested by NCIS agents at Camp Lejeune around 4:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Kim Flournoy was gunned down outside the TNT Beach Bingo on December 30th during a robbery, according to Jacksonville police.

The 65-year-old was the widow of a Marine and lived in Jacksonville.

An arrest warrant says Forrest tried to take Flournoy's purse which contained $500 in cash, using a large caliber handgun.

Forrest's made his first appearance this afternoon in Jacksonville. He will be continued to be held without bond and Dick McNeil was appointed as his attorney.

The victim's daughter was in court for the hearing, but said nothing to reporters as she left the courtroom.

According to search warrants unsealed today, the Dodge Avenger seen in the surveillance video was found parked at Forrest's home on Piney Green Road the day after the murder.

Inside police say they found clothing used and worn during the murder along with high caliber ammunition.

Camp Lejeune says the Gulfport, Mississippi native enlisted in the Marine Corps in June 2010 and is an ammunition technician assigned to 2nd Supply Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 25.

Previous Story

A Camp Lejeune Marine has been charged with December's shooting death of a grandmother outside a Jacksonville bingo hall.

Jacksonville Police Chief Mike Yaniero tells WITN News that Larry Forrest was arrested by NCIS agents around 4:00 p.m. on base.

Kim Flournoy was gunned down outside the TNT Beach Bingo on December 30th during a robbery, according to police.

The 65-year-old woman was the widow of a retired Marine.

Yaniero says old fashioned police work helped solve the homicide. He says they are still trying to identify other people in the vehicle that night and continue to ask for the public's help.

A reward of up to $25,000 still stands for information leading to other arrests in this case. You can call Crimestoppers at 910-938-3273 and you are not required to reveal your name.

The 21-year-old Forrest has been charged with an open count of murder and attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon. He's being held without bond.