Man In Wheelchair Escapes Burning House

A man who uses a wheelchair escaped a fire in his Kinston home early Tuesday.

Kinston public safety officials say the fire at 1408 St. James Place, near Kinston Country Club, was reported just after 4 a.m. Officials say the homeowner, Joe Burchette, was on the back deck of the home when fire fighters arrived.

The 67-year-old Burchette has lived in the home since 1979. Burchette says he was sleeping in a downstairs bedroom when the fire broke out. The widower and his two dogs all got out of the home okay.

The cause of the fire was traced to a short in an exhaust fan in a bathroom, officials say. The damage to the house itself is estimated at $80,000, while damage to property in the house is estimated at $20,000.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 7 a.m., according to officials.

We encourage commenting on our stories to give you a chance to express your opinion. We rely upon the online community to report abuse. Repeat violators may be banned from posting comments. CLICK HERE for the guidelines for posting comments.
powered by Disqus