NEW INFO: Former GPD Officer Charged With Destroying Evidence

A warrant charging a former Greenville police officer sheds new information on what he is accused of doing.

Heriberto Calles, age 40 of Winterville, was charged this morning with common law obstruction of justice, altering, destroying or stealing evidence of criminal conduct, and willfully failing to discharge duties.

Greenville Police Sergeant Joe Friday says Calles responded to a domestic disturbance at 305 East 13th Street on February 17. The next day, someone involved in the case came to the police department to provide more information. That's when other officers noticed irregularities in the original report, according to Friday.

Police say a closer look found Calles had destroyed photographic evidence to minimize the domestic disturbance case.

An arrest warrant says Calles told the victim and plaintiff in the domestic call "that this never happened and we (the police) were never here, you need to settle this on your own."

Another warrant says Calles destroyed pictures taken of the domestic violence incident, while telling two other officers to lie in the internal investigation.

The Greenville Police Department launched an internal investigation into Calles on February 24 and contacted the SBI on February 27, according to Friday.

Calles was placed on administrative leave with pay on March 3, and Friday says he submitted his resignation on March 7.

Police say the former officer was hired in January 2010.

"The arrest of Officer Calles serves as reminder that the law enforcement community in our city is not above the law and that the investigative process is intact and unbiased," said Chief Hassan Aden. "I want our community to know that the Greenville Police Department holds itself accountable to the highest ethical standards and all laws that govern our society. This case was self-discovered and pursued by the Internal Affairs Division of the Greenville Police Department. I want to reaffirm that maintaining the public's trust is a top priority of my administration."

Calles was given a $10,000 bond at the magistrate's office. He made a first appearance this morning before a District Court judge and now has a June 26th court date.

The case Calles is accused of destroying evidence never went to court. Police say the person who brought the case decided on March 20 to not prosecute.