A building expert says the collapse of a second-story deck at a house in Brunswick County indicates the deck may have sustained storm damage.
Twenty-one people were injured, five of them admitted to hospitals, after the deck collapsed in Ocean Isle Beach Tuesday night. The 21 had gathered on the deck for a picture.
North Carolina Building Inspectors Association President Glenn Batten says the deck should have held that many people.
Batten says the fact it collapsed tells him the deck may have suffered hurricane damage. He says if the house had been through the winds of a couple of hurricanes, some of the fasteners may have been pulled and stretched to their limits.
The investigation into the cause of the collapse continues.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Brunswick County officials are on the scene of a deck collapse, that happened Tuesday night, at a home on the far west end of Ocean Isle Beach.
Our affiliate, WECT reports Anthony Marzano, Director of Emergency Services, a second story deck collapsed onto a first story concrete patio.
About 25 people were on the deck at the time.
Marzano says 21 people have been transported. 13 have been taken to Grand Strand Memorial Hospital, one was flown, by helicopter, to New Hanover Regional Medical Center, and seven have been taken to Brunswick Novant Medical Center.
All have non-life threatening injuries. However, injuries are traumatic including broken bones and lacerations.
Daisy Ivey, Town Administrator of Ocean Isle, says it was a private home and the people inside were renting.
The owner has been contacted. There were people inside the home who weren't hurt. Over a dozen agencies responded.